Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Sick and Focused

For someone who was under the weather, I got a LOT done yesterday!!!
I edited and posted a family session, shot, edited and posted a portrait session, and powered through much of a wedding session.  Was super focused and really proud of myself. 

That said, I still have a lot on my plate.  Photography is really taking off and it's pretty exciting.  But for every hour I shoot, there are at least 2 additional hours on the back side; usually more.

What people don't realize is photography takes place mostly behind the scenes.

There are times I need a staff to help me.  And maybe soon, that will happen.

As I'm shooting more, I'm squeezing more into  my days.  I kind of don't have a choice in that.  But that's okay.  This is where my life is supposed to go.  And for once, I'm not resisting.

As the kids get older, it's a little easier to take your life back.  In the early years it was nearly impossible to get things done.  They demand your time and when they are younger, they need to get it.

Nowadays, I can help them to understand why I'm not available.  Though when I am in their presence, I'm "Mom" first, and they don't always care if I have a camera in my hand.  If they have a need, I'm the "guy".

As a kid, they don't always understand this "work" thing.  They get upset because I spend so much time in front of the computer.  And they don't get that there is a valid reason.  If they see me on facebook, I'm sunk in the water.  They don't get it's a "mental break".  They think I'm trying to hide from them.  (Not saying that I haven't done that, but that's another blog).

On the other hand; I have been at my desk editing and there have been many a time when they have made suggestions to some of the pictures.  And I dare say, they have a good eye!  All three of them!!

I am fortunate.  They say if you do what you love you will never work a day in your life.  I know I touched on this last week.  

And though I love what I do, I'm still honing in on my Niche.  Right now, I'm in an "I shoot everything".  But the truth is, I have my passions.  And I think I'm getting closer to discovering a way to market myself as just that.  But I'm not sure I'm ready for just that as I am really enjoying everything that is coming my way!

My passion is Black and White photography.  And actually, that said, my passion was the darkroom.  But as times have changed, my darkroom is my desk.  There is no chemical smell (sad face) and there is no darkness.  However, that peaceful state of mind when I'm examining my shots is still there.  It's a time when my "Squirrel" brain gets to rest and concentrate and focus.

And in a world where there are a lot of squirrels.....I'll take the moments of peace.

Happy Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment