Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mom's booked!!!

Tomorrow is Mothers Day.    I'm ahead of the game this year; I actually invited my mother already. 

Talk about a "Squirrel".....  I don't know what I was thinking when I forgot to invite my mom to our Mothers Day Brunch last year.  Thankfully, she did not have alternate plans and came over.

However, this year, I'm not sure I would be so lucky!

My mom is in her 70s and she lives in a senior community.  She's pretty....ummm.....well......stagnant as far as activity goes.  For as much as my sister and myself have tried to get her active; she's  been a (love you mom) hopeless case.


But for years, so was I when it came to activity.  One has to come into their own on their own terms.  Or until someone who is a better fit comes along and doesn't give you a chance.

This happened to me. 

I was in the process of losing weight and a friend of mine (who had lost 90lbs) convinced me to start running.  And run I did. 

So, despite my sisters efforts all those years, her advice fell on deaf ears.  I needed to hear it from someone like me!   To date, I have run many 5Ks, a few mud runs and a half marathon.

I wouldn't have done it without the encouragement of my "like for like" friend.

Now, as I live and breathe; my mom has found her like for like.  In the past few weeks, she has done Zumba, Yoga, silver sneakers aerobics, and some other class I have forgotten due to pure shock!!!  It's as shocking as the time she quit chain smoking for 40 days for Lent.....but then promptly jumped back on the cancer stick wagon.  Or the time she traded in her diet soda for water (which she still drinks today!)  Or the day that she actually quit smoking for good!! 

Shocked.... but in a good way!!! 

Her neighbors have gotten their hooks into her and taken her hostage. 

AND SHE'S ENJOYING IT!!!!

So, when I say, I'm lucky my mom is available tomorrow, I mean it wholeheartedly.

However, that said, if they wanted to take her to a class on Mothers day.....we could certainly adjust our meal time for that!!  I couldn't be more proud!  LOVE YOU MOM!!!

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment