Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Fighting food

I'm realizing more and more how bad food affects our lives.  I have a kid who could easily be diagnosed with ADD after a sugar-laden breakfast.  I literally watched one day as she transformed from a focus kid to one that was bouncing off the walls.   I had to track back to what had happened in the previous 20 minutes and I realized she had chocolate Silk (soy chocolate milk) and granola balls.

Boy did I have a realization there.  But not only with her, but with myself as well.  I know when I eat processed foods, I don't feel as healthy as I do when I am making better choices.

So then, why is it so difficult to stay away from all the processed foods we have?  Why do we continue to bring them home?

Food of today is far removed from when we were growing up.  It is all so mass produced that the quality is iffy at best.  Did you ever wonder why we "suddenly" have all these allergies?  They are crawling out of the woodworks.

Even Fruits and Veggies aren't the same.  The nutrition level on these foods is greatly diminished.  We can eat an apple twice as big and not get the same health benefits as we did back 'when'.

I have a couple of members who have come from different countries.  They have all been here less than a year and have all wound up in Weight Watchers wondering what happened to them.

One was wide eyed as she talked about the level of variety that we have here in the states.

In all their years in South Africa and Ireland, they never had a weight problem.  Within a year, they are sitting in our chairs wondering what the hell happened???

That should speak volumes (pun intended) to most of us.

It's not just the abundance, but the quality.  The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know.  It's actually kind of scary.  I'm finding wisdom in terms like 'organic',  and 'No GMO' and even "Grass fed".

There is a book that I read not too long ago called  "The End of Overeating".  It's a wealth of information.  I was really disgusted at the food industry when I read it.  But it's a great read!!

I find myself envying people who have their own gardens.  We have tried.  We have almond, avocado, mango, blueberries and tomato plants.  So far, in the last two years, I have gotten 2 tomatoes, 5 blueberries and a sour apple.  The apples are the only promising thing.....

Be aware that if your child is showing signs of ADD, take a look at your food.  An egg goes much farther for my child than a low sugar cereal.  Her attention is better and she is less impulsive.

I'm not here to make you paranoid, but aware.  It's been bugging me for a long time and I think I need a revolution in my house with our food.

I think I'm best to start with a list and NOT shopping when I'm hungry.  That one always takes me down. 

It's at least worth taking a look......yes???

Let me know what you find.  This conversation bears digging deeper......

Happy Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment