Friday, May 11, 2012

Fresh Oranges

Just sharing the kind of mom I am.

This morning, I got up and decided to cut up an orange that I got from a co worker.  She picked it from her tree and so I took a couple home.

When I cut the orange, I cut off the top, and then the bottom and then slice it around the center pith that tastes bitter.  So the slices can easily be eaten by my kids. 

It was a rather large orange, so I cut it into many slices.  I can't remember which of my kids likes oranges.  I truly can't be bothered in the details.  I know it's one of them so this orange won't go to waste.

But as I'm cutting it and realizing one of them won't eat it, I decided to "share" it with my child; or at least give it a taste to make sure it's okay.

Now one thing you might not know, is I grew up on the other side of an orange grove.  This grove had more than just oranges.  It had pomegranates, peaches, plums, avocados, persimmons, almonds (did you know almonds grow on trees?) and other amazing fruits.  It's  no wonder I am so picky about my fruit.  When you pluck a fruit from a tree and place it directly into your mouth, there is no comparison to what you get in the stores.  NONE!

I have 'tried' many oranges over the years and they were either dried out, or bitter, or just no flavor.  So you would easily understand that when I bit into the orange this morning, I was taken back to my childhood years.  The orange was sweet and juicy.

And I enjoyed EVERY LAST BITE!!!!!

So needless to say, my kid is sitting next to me as I write, eating a cold piece of pizza instead.

It happens.

Happy Friday  (Thanks, Anne)

No comments:

Post a Comment