Saturday, May 19, 2012

difference in opinions and refocus

So, we have a difference in opinion..... As I sit in bed with my skinny latte and my homemade banana bread, I am content in the efforts it took to bring my espresso machine and cooler of food.

However as I packed, my husband couldn't wrap his head around all the effort I took in packing my car to the hilt. His approach is bring a little and just buy your way around. And though I am not opposed to that at times, I do feel that there is a lot to be said for not having to run around to fulfill every need, there is something really nice about not havi g to rush around to get your coffee. Or worse yet, deal with hotel room coffee. I guess I am getting a little set in my ways, but I like what I like. And if I can achieve that with a little extra effort in packing for my creature comforts then why not!!!

It is 8:30 and I am still in my Pjs in bed enjoying coffee that I made. Nothing wrong with that, right? Soon we will be getting ready for competition, which I heard is brutal this year. Our kids aren't achieving what they had hoped.

Going in knowing this, my girls are nervous.  We (a few moms) had a talk with our girls this morning.  If they know this competition is stiff, they will simply have to go in knowing that they will compete for themselves.  The award is not going to be the focus. 

It is important to give their best no matter what.  However, as competition is always stiff, we have to realize, when we do our personal best, it is important to stand strong in that fact, and not place your whole belief system on an external source.

Approval is nice, but it is not the end all be all.  For all we know, these judges are tired and not thinking clearly.  Or perhaps one of them might be in a bad mood and throw off all scores.  OR....they could be at the top of their game and being extremely critical.

In any case, we have to remember why we do the things we do.  Our girls are here because they love dance.  They will do their best, because they have practiced many hours and put much time effort and energy into giving their best.

And in the end, all we want is to see them give all they have and do what they love.

I don't really care about the awards.  I care that my childs character is growing in being a team player and aspiring to something more than just herself. 

Though I will hope for high scores, (I'm not stupid), I will be content in knowing my girls will give their all and be on that stage smiling and doing what they do best!!

Can't wait to enjoy the day!
Happy Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment