Thursday, May 24, 2012

Dance and stuff

So we are doing a dance.  A moms dance.  And we are competing in a few weeks.  Yes....I said competiting.  I'm not sure for what, but I am not in it to win it.  At this point, I just want to get through it.

Talk about putting yourself out there and pushing your limits.

For months, just about 18 moms from the dance studio decided to enlist in a moms hip hop dance.  There were times when we all questioned our sanity.  Wondering who did we think we are in signing up for this?  What were we thinking? etc......

We are a few short weeks away from being on stage.....in front of judges.

Last night, we got our costumes.  I think reality is setting in.  This IS really gonna happen.

And I dare say, I'm getting excited!

I doubt we will hit it out of the park, but we WILL show up and we WILL give our best.

I have watched this group of moms go from complete confusion, frustration and ambivilance, to determination and focus. 

When you take yourself out of your comfort zone, funny things happen.  Your once comfortable world becomes a little shaken, and doubt starts to creep in, along with fear and other fun emotions. 

But as you keep going through it all, the fears and doubts start to diminish as competence grows.  This is true in any arena where we push ourselves beyond our own comfortable limits.

I'm very proud of all the moms for sticking it out and feeling ridiculous with me.  When I look around at these other women, I can't help but feel a sense of pride, knowing they have their hearts in the right place. 

I have yet to try on my costume, but I know when I do, that I will be right back in that uncomfortable, "Oh what have you done" feeling.  And regardless of how I feel, I will go through it and accomplish what we set out to do.

Over the past few months, I have gotten to know these women on a personal level, and it's been great working with them.  Quitting was never an option for us.  We will show our kids that no matter what; even though we are uncomfortable and uncertain, we will see it through to the end.  We will show them, that we may not be the best, but we gave it the best we got!  Just as we expect them to do!!!

I can't wait to unveil our first performance.  After that, it will be gravy.

We have tread the uncomfortable zone a few times and come back again.  All that's left to do is perform.

We got this!!!
Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment