Monday, May 14, 2012

Pavlov's Dog

Ever hear of Pavlov's dog?  Pavlov was a  man who did an experiment with his dog.  He would ring a bell, give the dog a treat, and then do it again and again.  After a while, he would ring the bell and NOT give the dog a treat.  The dog learned to salivate just by hearing the bell.  It was trained that when the bell rang, it would get a treat, and thereby salivate.

This time of year, the same thing happens to me.  Mothers Day comes around, and I start craving the meal we have done every year for the past 8 or so years; Eggs, Bacon, Sausage, Overnight French toast, and Cheesey Hash Browns (the only thing healthy in that dish, is the onions).

Chris is a picky chef.  He's always thinking about what to make, and how he can put a twist on it.  However, when he approached me this year to ask what I wanted; I gave him a look like, "You're kidding me, right???"   I told him very sternly (and without negotiation), "You will be making what you make EVERY year!!  I look forward to it!!!"

He said "fine" and did as he was told.  Only he did add a twist and I didn't care.  I only eat the sausage, potatoes and french toast. 

It's funny how over the years, with the addition of kids and what not how our efforts for Mothers Day have diminished.

The first year we had it at our house, we pulled out all our fine china, a table cloth, cloth napkins, and served the Mothers of Honor (Chris' mom and my mom).

Yesterday it was more of a help yourself (I dug in first) and the mom's had to fend for their own paper towels if they wanted to clean their chops! 

To be honest, they are lucky, at this point in my life, to get a clean piece of table. 

But as our schedules have gotten busy over the years, they seem to understand that a clean table is a huge gesture.  And for that I am grateful!!

I wrote yesterday about how I get it with the whole motherhood thing.  And as I read my blog to my mom, she welled up a bit.  (I told her that was her Mothers Day card....again....efforts and abilities way low).

My intention was to get them something nice.  In the end, they ended up with a bouquet of flowers (carefully chosen by the girls) and a place to set their brunch plate.)

When I think about those days of tablecloths and cloth napkins, I remember it was such an effort.  Now, just giving them room to eat is about the same output, so I shouldn't beat myself up.

The meal is what I remember most.  It's become a tradition in our family.

Now, for the week, we have plenty of potatoes to include for dinners (or even snacks).

I hate to admit I am a bit of a foodie, but I just LOVE food!!!  And I'm spoiled by the fact that my husband likes to experiment.  If I ate eggs yesterday, they would have been stuffed in a poblano pepper with chorizo.  It smelled divine.  But as it's not on the traditional menu, I will save that for another day!!!

Traditions are good.    They give you a sense of grounding and belonging.  It's nice to go to a place and know what to expect.  I look forward to it every year.

And as I sit around the table watching everyone come together over good food, it's a good feeling.
Definitely feels like home!!!!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment