Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Commiseration

I love commiserating.  Nothing worse than feeling you are alone.


Last night a friend came by to drop something off.  I met her at the car; and there we stayed for an hour or so.  At one point, I went into the house and grabbed a few glasses and we had wine in her car while we chatted.  A drive by so to speak!!!

Our lives get so busy that these are the moments we get to enjoy as we steal the minutes in the day.

We commiserated about how as the kids get older, we moms pay the price in not being able to see each other.  And we agreed that as kids get older, they get more expensive and the ways to finance them are becoming elusive.

As our kids get older, we start to feel a little more obsolete in their lives every day as they become more independent.

This inevitably leaves us with the feeling, "What about us?"  Where do we stand and what should we do!?

I have seen many mothers get to the point that they want their own lives back, just a little bit.  Some want jobs, but don't know where to turn.  Their identity has been wrapped up in their kids for so long that their ability to individuate has become a bit hampered.

I remember as I was going back to work, I was in search of new clothes that were "professional" looking.  One of my friends told me that her old business suits were up for grabs if I was interested.  She had invested in them a while ago and didn't want them to go to waste.  I told her I would be glad to look at them and was appreciative for the offer. 

As we went into the archives of her life and started pulling out the suits; it was apparent that she hadn't been in the workforce for quite a while.  The suits had shoulder pads. 

She didn't seem to recall that the suits were so out of style.  But we had a nice laugh at how the styles had changed in the years since motherhood took over her life!!!

It all goes so fast, doesn't it??

Only a mother would get this and laugh about it.  Commiseration is a good thing.  If you have no one to share with, then you feel alone.  And when you feel alone, you feel hopeless.

It's nice to know we aren't the inventors of our own feelings.  If you are feeling it, then it has been felt before.

So if having a glass of wine in a car that is parked in front of my house is the only way to go to feel connected again.....I'll take it!

It was the funnest night I have had with her in a while!!!

Steal the moments and make them count!!

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment