Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Taking advantage

So, wow....  I'm loving this weather.  For some reason this week, I'm feeling really free and happy!  (Strange I know!)

My brother came to visit last week and we took a trip to the hollywood sign in LA.  As we were in our cars heading out, he was a little....ummmm.....grumpy (?) as you say...  I recognized this right away, because as we were growing up, anytime we went somewhere, it was frought with high emotions.  Usually yelling to get out of the house (trying to organize 7 ppl was no easy feat).  And sometimes, it would end in us just staying home and not going anywhere afterall.  Very disappointing.

Similarly, when our own family packs up to go and Chris is involved, emotions run high.  He is extremely organized and doesn't understant last minute lolligagging.......  I, on the other hand am very lax and figure, if I forget my toothbrush, I won't die, so who cares! (this drives Chris NUTS!).

So for some reason, our family has followed the same pattern from when we were children.  Strange huh?  (totally not!)

As I sat in my car listening to my brother repeat patterns, I found a little humor in it.  I heard his concern, he was feeling the pressure to get us to our destination on time.  I smiled and said, "Let ME guide the way!  It's not a big deal!"  He looked at me with furrowed brow and yelled across to my car, "When did YOU get so happy?"  For some reason I found this a humorous question.  I certainly don't consider myself "Happy" as much as I do "Grateful" for every day!

Yesterday I decided to check out Thousand Steps Beach in Laguna.  I have heard about it for years but never actually went, and as yesterday was absolutely gorgeous, I decided to go for it.  My intrigue was the "thousand steps", I was going to use it for a bit of a cardio workout.

When I got to the location, I realized why very few people go here.  Parking is non-existent!  But thankfully, I found the back end of a spot and took advantage.  However, I had to creep up on the car in front of me, hoping they had enough room in the front to get out.  OR...that I would get back first.

As I approached the steps and looked down, I immediately see how it got its name:
Going down was no problem.  I bounced down and landed on the sand.  As I looked around, I was in awe of what I saw....a VAST open beach with VERY few guests. 
I instantly fell in love!  This is exactly when I need when I want "me" time. 
I walked the length of the beach to check it out.  Afterall I was in workout clothes, I may as well make it look like I'm USING them....
At the end of the beach visions crossed my mind....PHOTOSHOOT!!!!
How pretty is THIS??? 
At this point, I'm quickly realizing I have a little slice of heaven.  It was a beautiful day in a beautiful location and I couldn't be more tickled.  So I planted myself on the sand for an hour and watched the skimboarders master the rhythm of the waves.  There were about 6 guys, varying in age.  They were all jockeying for the best wave, but respectful of each other.  There is never a collision.  It was so much fun to watch. 
One guy (late teens) jumped in the water with a video camera to catch his friend in the water. And then they switched.  I could have stayed there all day.
Next to me was a dad with two small kids.  One about 4 and the other not even 1.  He laid in the sand while the kids played.   I watched the baby take handfuls of sand and shove it in his mouth while dad tried to catch a nap.  How many times have I seen that before?  LOL
After a while, I decided to put my workout clothes to task.  It was time to leave and conquer those steps.  Going down was cake.  Going up shouldn't be to bad.  Should it???
And then I saw this......

 Now, what you see in the picture is about 1/3 of the steps.  I got about 1/3 up,before I started slowing down; about halfway before I decided to catch my breath...and at the top, I prayed to God that the pain in my chest wasn't a heart attack.  Thankfully I survived.
I took a few minutes to let my heart rate relax.  I think it was in serious shock.  My cardio needs work!  But it was all worth it, and I would do it again!

When I think back to my brothers question, "When did YOU get so happy"....I realized that I had made a choice.  For every moment I have, I can be in a bad mood, I can react badly....or I can sit back and realize, (as mom always says) "This too shall Pass".  And in the midst of it passing, I will do my best to enjoy every single moment I can!  

Why? You ask?......   Well I say Why NOT????

Happy Wednesday!!


1 comment:

  1. You're so right! But sometimes it is so hard. I look forward to the days when my whole crew can put on their own shoes. Then getting four kids out the door for school in the morning won't drive me quite so crazy. BREATHE!

    ReplyDelete