Saturday, October 15, 2011

Sign of the times

Today and tomorrow I am hosting a photo fundraiser for our school.  In years past, this event was booming, but as years have gotten tight thanks to the economy, participation has been severely affected.

Even at a great deal saving over $100 per session, it is still too much to consider spending money in today's economy.  Discretionary income is tight, and families are having to hold back their spending.

I have many photographer friends who can attest to this.  My closest photographer friend said that by this time of year, her mailbox is full and sessions are limited to only a few weekday offerings.  At the time I called her two days ago, she still had plenty of sessions available.

Unfortunately, I put a high value on getting pictures taken.  Maybe it is because I am in the industry.....or maybe I have witnessed one too many times how life changes in an instant.

I have had many families affected by tragedy and all they had left were the pictures I took.

I hear excuses from parents who don't want to be in the pictures, because they are not in tip top shape, or don't have makeup on or hair done, etc.....   I have done this too, I'm not immune to vanity.  But I found something out in my own life.....

KIDS DON'T CARE WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE; THEY CARE THAT YOU ARE THERE!!!!!!

I get very passionate about this.  I had a friend try to schedule a "sisters" shoot with me and it was put off at the last moment.  And as it turned out....it was the last moment that it would ever be able to happen.   One of the sisters was killed in a car accident.  She was a passenger.

There isn't a time that I pass by the intersection where she died and regret that we didn't get those last photos.  It haunts me regularly; and further drives my passion for pictures.

We only have now!  We need to take advantage of ever "now" that we have!
I have made promises to parents and people alike:  Let's just take the pictures now and if you lose that 5lbs, or find a better outfit; I will do a reshoot for free!  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. 

Because we always seem to live as if we have forever.  And I'm just here to say.......

You don't!

Happy Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment