Saturday, October 22, 2011

The power of community and determination

Twice this week I was told of a meeting at our church with Dr. Oz.  Both were from members of mine.
I had heard about it but forgot; and was glad that they reminded me.

I am anxious to see Dr. Oz in person, because he is working really hard to make our nation healthier, one person at a time.  Or a community at a time.  OR....a nation at a time!

At Saddleback, he is part of "The Daniel Plan" which is a christian based program to help people live healthier lives.  At Saddleback, he groups with Dr. Amen and Dr. Hymen (as well as Rick Warren) to help educate people about the effects of unhealthy living, and how we can bring vitality back to our lives by making better choices.

Nationally, Dr. Oz is working through his TV show, creating "Transformation Nation".  With this program, he has paired up with Weight Watchers to help transform Obesity from an epidemic to an extinct concept!

At this moment in time, I LOVE this man!!!!

At Saddleback today, I was saved a seat by one of my members.  As I woke up late, I was going to miss this event, because I hate crowds and I hate looking for parking spaces.  However, my member was kind enough to encourage me to get there whenever I could. 
 
Alone, I wouldn't have gone.
With a friend, I went!

This was an amazing event.  The Daniel Plan was kicked off 9 months ago.  As it turns out a friend of mine was there to speak on stage, because with the Daniel Plan, she has lost 40lbs.  I was so thrilled to witness this.

As we listened to the panel of Drs. speak, I wrote notes.   Here is what I wrote:
  • Frailty is the disease! (If we were stronger we could withstand more diseases, but because we are weak, we die easier!)
  • Your GENES load the gun of your life.  But your LIFESTYLE pulls the trigger!  (if you have family history of diabetes; eating poorly will ensure you will get it!)
  • Be comfortable with being UNcomfortable (push yourself beyond your comfort zone to get strong and be healthy)
  • Success on a program means forgetting you are on a program (don't create a miserable program for yourself.  EASE your way into it and grow and change because of it!)
  • Good sleep affects your ability to lose weight! (poor sleep creates Carb and bad food cravings)
  • Community IS medicine!  (typical weight loss alone was 8.9 lbs while those who worked in a group lost 15.7lbs.  A support network is beneficial to success!!!)

    and my favorite:
  • The way you think about something determines how well you do!
As I sat and watched this panel of doctors speak, I was moved time and again!  But when all the people who have been successful on this program crossed the stage with not only their weight loss, but the benefits of their weight loss......I was moved to tears!

Rick has lost 10 inches off his waist and he's looking fantastic.  But he isn't doing it alone.  He has surrounded himself with the necessary community to help him achieve his goals!!!

I admit again, I wouldn't have gone if I wasn't encouraged.  And because I went, I'm changed forever!  My determination is renewed.  Information I am knowledgeable of was brought back to the forefront of my brain.  And the success of these people made me believe in a nation. 

It can be done!  Thank you Dr. Oz, and Rick Warren along with Dr. Hymen and Dr. Amen!!!!

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment