Thursday, October 13, 2011

Parenting moments

I can't imagine single parenting.  Double parenting is hard enough.  We work together to make sure everything is taken care of, and even at that, we are stretched thin sometimes.

But single parents....wow!  No down time, no other adult to appeal to or yell at when you need a mental break.  I can't imagine.

The longer I am a parent, the more things that used to appall me about parents and their decisions become a bit more reasonable.

I always hated when parents would say, "you don't have kids, you don't get it".  It was such an insult.  Surely they had no idea who I was or how many kids I had been around!

But they were right.  And now, I find myself saying it to other people, and cringing a bit, because I know they have no clue what I am talking about. 

I remember when Aspen was less than a month old, I had issues breastfeeding, and I was losing sleep and it was 1 in the morning when I was holding Aspen up and crying at Chris, "I didn't sign up for THIS!"  I remember that moment so visually.

And if I didn't have my sister to call and commiserate with, I may have dropped Aspen off at the local hospital and asked for their return policy!

Thank GOD for my sister!  She had 3 or 4 kids by this time, and my mere issues, were hindsight for her.  I was thankful for the advice.

I remember her telling me,  "I know how you feel, but this time is so short, trust me!"  And as I look at my 11 and 9 year olds, boy was she right!  Her oldest is a senior in high school.  I remember him walking around their house knocking books off the book shelf to see cause and effect. 

I try to remind myself regularly that no matter what "This too shall pass".  But I don't want to dismiss the present.   I love every moment I get with my kids. 

I try to remind myself how precious each moment is when I am stretched thin and trying to get through my day.

This morning we had to figure out how to get Avery to school.  Thankfully I have neighbors who are awesome.

I do believe it takes a village to raise a child.  I have recruited as many villagers as I can to create this support network for me and my children when mommy and daddy exhaust their juggling abilities. 

And I do my best to return the favor when others are in need as well.  I make it clear that if I'm around, I'm glad to help!  I have even recruited my mom on occasion to take others' children.  She is always happy to do so!

It definitely takes a village!

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment