Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween etc

Happy Halloween.

The first of the holidays of the season is almost over. Can you believe it? All the planning for the costumes and parties is passed. The meager decorating efforts are about to be taken down and replace by turkeys and fall leaves.

Sometimes I feel like someone pushed the fast forward button on life, and there is no going back.

It has been that way since I can remember, but got worse when I had kids.

There is so much rushing around and planning for four people, not just two; which amplifies the warp speed factor.

My goal this year is to absorb a little more time, and actually share a few nicer moments.

Last night we had mom and Julie over for dinner, and we pulled our camping chairs out front while we watched the girls carve their pumpkins. We enjoyed it so much, we at dinner out front as well.

I had an extra light brought outside and it really felt like a camping effect. Even Chris came out and chatted. It was a really nice evening.

While we chatted, we were talking about kids and conveniences of today. My mom said, "You guys are lucky because you guys have all this electronic stuff that makes everything easier."

I stopped her and said that my children are not lucky, because everything is so easy for them. They don't know what it is to struggle, and their sense of pride will never be what it was when we were growing up.

I honestly believe that there is a cost factor every time the next "easy" thing comes along.

She actually agreed with me.

And as my daughter is sitting here eating last nights Chinese food for breakfast out of a box...I think my point is made. At least on some small level.

Happy Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment