Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Road blocks

The last couple of days I have hit road blocks which are really frustrating.

The other day I got a gift card from someone beccause when I returned an envelope of cash to her home. As a gesture of appreciation, she gave me a gift card to Starbucks. I was so excited that the next day I treated my husband to a special treat. Only, I ended up paying myself, because the card came up inactive.

Now, many things could have happened. She could have walked out without activating this card. But why would she leave my work only to come back 20 minutes later to hand me a gift that she specifically went to buy, only to hand me something empty?

I was certain Starbucks made a mistake and didn't activate the card, and they would have some safeguard in place for this, so I called the store directl? How do I know which store she went to? Well, if she left my work and came back within 20 minutes, there is only one that is close enough. I even know the timeframe in which she went!

When I called, the staff was very nice. BUT.....no help whatsoever. The assistant manager said that there is no system in place to follow up with the purchases of the cards.

This is disappointing, because when I worked at a bank many years ago, there were so many checks and balances, you didn't leave until your dollars and cents were in order.

So, how can a company so big take in $20 and not be able to align that with the amount of gift cards issued? There should be something in place where they count the # of gift cards against their cash drawer.

But they don't. And the assistant managers only suggestion was to contact the giver of the gift card and get the receipt!

REALLY?????? I am supposed to ask this kind woman to dig up a receipt? What if she is like me and doesn't keep them? How many hours will she have to spend looking through her records to rectify this situation?

I polled a number of people who agree they would NEVER do this!!! So that leaves these big companies with millions of dollars that will never be spent!

The other solution the assistant manager had was to call the 800 # on the back of the card and see if they could help me. So I called.

She was of little help.

Now, one thing you must understand about me. Because there are so many scummy people out there trying to squeeze stuff from companies just because they had a bad experience, I very rarely call and complain. And when I do, I let them know I am not interested in getting something for free, I just want them to FIX their situation!!!

So when I called, I discussed that they need a checks and balances procedure for their gift cards and I told her what happened. I was on the phone with her for about 15 minutes. I told her that is was CRAP that they can take someones money, leaving someone else with nothing and they have no way to fix it. I also told her I was out $10 because I went to use my gift card. So as a consolation, she sent me a few measly drink coupons as if she were throwing me a bone.

I did say I don't call to get stuff, but as this was a money situation and I was out money in more than one way, she should have sent me at least 4 of those little suckers! But what bothered me was it felt like 'hush money'.

I let her know that I appreciate her efforts, but I will less likely be purchasing gift cards as gifts as I have in the past. I was so disheartened over this experience that after I got off the phone with her, I went onto their website and issued a written complaint.

This will not go down easy. I am not done with this. They HAVE to put a system in place or I will never buy another gift card anywhere! I work hard for the money I earn, and I will be damned if I am going to spend my money on a gift card so someone can end up empty and the companies pockets can be lined with my money that will never be spent!

As for the other road block? I am trying to do a presentation for work on my Ipad, because it is the up and coming thing to do. But Ipad doesnt support Adobe Flash, so now my presentation is reduced to paper. But I won't go there today.

Happy Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment