Friday, October 7, 2011

Approaches and doubts

In the last few weeks  have subbed for other leaders.  When you go to a meeting to see someone you like, it's a real bummer to find that person gone for the week and your stuck with who knows what!  I have been there and done that as a member; and now I'm the' who knows what'!

I subbed for a leader who is known for his Rah Rah Sis Boom Ba approach.  He really gets the members amped up.  Subbing for someone like that is like getting ready for a recital with a theme and you get to make up your own dance and hope everyone likes it. 

I know I can only be what I can be.  However, I do try to at least match the energy of the people I sub for. 

When I did this group of meetings I was overwhelmed with the amount of people that came to the meetings. It actually made me a bit self conscious. 

In being a leader it means something to build your meetings.  Your attendance is like a report card and who doesn't like to get an A.

However, I realize that this group is on a Saturday where most people are available, so it's like comparing apples to oranges (a term that I loathe by the way).

But I can't help but reflect on my delivery and wonder if I can somehow improve.

Well, yesterday, that leader came into a meeting I was at and I asked if his members liked me or if they had some complaints.  I was told by the leader that they loved me and that I really got them to think.

As my conversation with the leader went on, it became clear to me that my approach is exactly what it should be.  I'm not a cheerleader like he is.  I'm a person who wants to dig deep to get you to think about your actions and actually own them.  And then deal with them.

My approach is much more psychological, because that is what worked for me, and that is who I am.

I totally appreciate this other leaders approach, and look forward to attending his meetings as a member.   I would love to get a dose of Rah Rah! 

But for the time being, I think I am on the right track with what I do.  And I will be content as I continue with my approach of dealing out a dose of hmmmmm..........

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment