Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Excuses are like........

I keep dealing with this person who makes excuses every time we talk.  And I have to say, it's almost not worth the conversation anymore.

I guess I have been with my husband too long, because I remember once upon a time, I was a bit of an excuse person.  I still am to some degree, but I have broken away from it being an instant response, like a sneeze or something.

What I have realized from this one person who makes excuses every time, is, this is the world they live in.  They ARE their excuse.  And they always have one ready, no matter what.

Well, the sad thing is.....my kids are even on to it. 

When you make excuses, you are literally excusing yourself from YOUR OWN ACTIONS!!!

And sometimes there is no excuse!  It either IS.....or it ISN'T!

I just want the little issues that I bring up to be corrected, I don't really care why they happened.  I find as I get older, I follow that path.  I don't really care to re-hash what got us here....I just want to fix it and move on.  That is all.  I don't want fingers pointed I just want a resolution!!!

Yesterday I was having a conversation with them, and the thing that made me saddest is the level of protection they have for themselves.  They instantly go into "I'm being attacked" and follow suit with whatever will get them out of the hole.

I took a moment and stated, "I don't really care what happened, and we are not mad here; we just want to see how we can correct this going forward.  If we talk about it, then no one will walk around in resentment, because it is 'out there' and we can fix it". 

After this statement, they calmed down a bit.  But they were still upset that they were being pinpointed.


The truth is, if you hide behind a veil of any sort, eventually you will be figured out!

My whole goal in life is to find the little engine that drives you.  We all do stupid things and we are not alone.  AND.....we will protect ourselves at every turn, because if we don,t then who will????

Now this person I refer to is just a kid.  But I have seen "Just" kids grow up into "just" adults.  And I want so badly to have a heart to heart with this kid, but I fear it will offend the parents, so I will just deal one issue at a time.  I have my own kids to worry about!

But just keep in mind; if you are making excuses all the time, what are you really hiding?

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment