Monday, October 3, 2011

Miscommunications

Yesterday I was supposed to meet a friend running.  I haven't run much in the last few months because I fell out of the groove.  It's hard to get back in once you are out, so to enlist the help of a friend is always a good bet!

We said we would meet at 8.  I had a photo session at 10 and was pretty well ready for that, but I was a little nervous 8 would be late, but I went anyway, because I wanted to hang with my friend and I think we both needed a dose of encouragement.

I got up early because I was nervous I would sleep through.  So up by 6, worked on my blog, finished a newsletter for work and had time to catch up on emails before I left.  Super productive in a few short hours.

I got in my car and road over to the lake in RSM.  It's a flat lake that is just about 1 mile around.  A great place to "start over".  I wasn't sure which side we were supposed to meet, so I texted her where I parked.  She sent me back a message:

????

So I told her I parked on the back of the lake, where should I meet her?  She texted back:

"OMG I meant P.M., I'm in bed"

Oh snap!  I laughed at our miscommunication, because never said am or pm yet I was here ready to go.........and I didn't want to. Then she texted me, "Go and run, you can do it!"

So I did.  My hope was to go 3 miles; but as I was here alone I was now completely in my own head where I was hoping someone else could be.  My friend has a gift for motivating me.  I'm not so good on my own!

Every time I made the rounds, after each mile, I was right by my car.  And every time I passed it I thought, "Okay that's enough, go home".  And then I would stop myself.  I wouldn't leave until I did at least 3 times around or 30 minutes! (though my original goal was an hour). 

Thankfully old training kicked in.  The people I look to for support came into my head and made it possible for me to keep going.  It's so much easier when someone is yelling at you, but when you need to yell at yourself, sometimes you fall short (you meaning me!)

I enjoyed running.  I didn't LOVE it, but I loved many things about it that I can't get from any other sport.  I do my best thinking when I'm running.   So why it's so hard to get out lately is beyond me. 

I finally finished and maintained an 11.39 mile.  Anything under 12 makes me happy.  I am not a strong runner, but I get the job done!

I'm thankful for my friend even though we didn't actually meet up!  She lit a fire under my butt, and that is exactly what I needed. 

However, I am looking forward to actually running with her soon!!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment