Sunday, July 15, 2012

You need a checker

Do you have a checker in your life?  Someone who sets you right, no matter what??   If you don't; people are either afraid of you, can't be bothered, or you think you are perfect and in need of no one.  (In which case, how many friends to you really have??)

I have come to realize we are all good at something.  Strengths and weaknesses.  All of us.  Every one.  No one is good at everything!!

I realized this last night as I was complaining to my BFF that my house is a mess and there is no hope for me.  Julie (my BFF) is REALLY good at many things.  She has a good brain and puts things together really easily.  As she sat at dinner; trying to set me right on my beliefs; I couldn't help but feel depleted. 

You ever feel like you say the same complaints over and over again so much that you are sick of hearing yourself???   If you have read my blog more than 5 days ever - you know what I'm talking about!!

I feel insufficient in so many ways.  The house is a mess; the hubby gets frustrated; the kids don't listen, you can't formulate a thought.....over and over and over again!!!  One can't help but feel like a failure......

Ever feel that way??

But then as dinner settles, and I get ready for the week: I realize I need to make breakfast burritos for the kids to grab and nuke..  As I'm scrambling the eggs and adding the pre-cooked sausage, I stir it up in 2 minutes flat.  Julie takes the concoction and spins it into the perfect burrito (as she had years of experience with this), she hands it to me, I throw it in aluminum foil and onto the next until we are all done. 10 burritos in10 minutes.  I ask her if she would like to take some home.  She says, "Absolutely" (more or less)

I said, 'Julie; this is so easy to make, why don't you "just" throw them together at home?'

She said, "Well, Cat, though this is easy for YOU.....it's just not my thing!!!"

BAZINGA......  I just got a checker.

We all have our strengths.

And while I was beating myself up for all the 'crap' that I can't do easily....there are plenty of things that I CAN do easily.  And it takes someone else to set me straight!!

We all need a checker in our lives.  Someone to check in with and realize "we are good" the way we are!!

Alanis Morisette sings a song; "That I would be good" 
that I would be good even if I did nothing
that I would be good even if I got the thumbs down
that I would be good if I got and stayed sick
that I would be good even if I gained ten pounds......

That I would be loved.....

We need to realize that we ARE good.  We are exactly as we were meant to be.  We strive to be perfect; but perfect doesn't exist!!!  And the people who act perfect are so freaky that they are uncomfortable to be around - wouldn't you agree???

My favorite people in the WORLD are the ones I have seen at their worst.  Or the ones who have seen me at my worst...and are still my friend.  The ones who hear my deepest thoughts and don't flinch..... the ones I have fought with-and talked it through.....the ones who see my house as it is....and want to come back because I am there - not because of what's on the floor.

My favorite people in the world know exactly who I am and love me anyways!!!

I have many checkers in my life.  They aren't afraid to give me their honest thoughts.  If I'm being a sh*t, they tell me.  If I'm not to blame, they let me know.

We all need people to tell us what we don't want to hear.  But also people who accept us as we are.

We are all unique.  I say this often.  Today it bears repeating.

I will never be an organized or consistent person.  But it's that person who will run off to the beach at a moments notice with some kid we picked up along the way because they happened to be available.
That works for me.  But it doesn't work for everyone.

I'm thankful for the moments when I am reminded of this.  Because I HATE feeling insufficient. 
Thanks to my checker, I realize I'm not insuffient.... I'm just.....me!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment