Friday, July 27, 2012

To birthday...or NOT to birthday....

So, yesterday was incredibly productive.  I got a lot done. 
Some may say, "Yay  you",  but according to my older daughter I think I kind of failed.

As it was Avery's birthday; and she had her day planned (in her head), she woke up disappointed at the fact that she had to be dragged around with me to work.  However, I smoothed it over with a quick trip to Starbucks.

As my day went on, I made it clear that until my work is done, no 'fun' will be had.

Now, am I a bad mom???

Taking off time here and there isn't usually a problem.  But because of events that have come up; it's pushed my 'completion times' way back.  Now, people who are waiting for their pictures are starting to get impatient, which makes ME look bad.

I don't like looking bad!

Last night (as a matter of fact) I had a nightmare that some of my clients were yelling at me.  NOT a good feeling. 

But I digress......

The "parties" have been set for the birthday's.  And there are TWO of them.  So my children will NOT go unnoticed, I promise you.  It just so happens that on their birthday, the peacock feathers will be neatly tucked and stowed to wait for their celebration days!

As my day went on yesterday; there were two schools of thought:

1.  The birthday person should be made a HUGE deal for the birthday child no matter the expense (including work and angry mobs).

2.  As long as you have SOMETHING planned; it's okay to lay low on the actual birthday.

By the end of the day, I  met that over the top mom who whoops and hollers all day on their kids birthday.  And as this mom is perfectly adorable and likeable ( and her older teen children still adore her), I felt a bit like a failure.

When I was a kid (yes, I just said that), birthdays were quietly celebrated with family and moved on.  It wasn't a big deal as I can remember. But it didn't totally go unnoticed either.

There were 5 of us.  We were lucky to get fed for crimany sakes!!!  Both my parents worked and we were lucky to get a "Hi" at the end of the day......

I grew up different than my husband, who was one of two - parents divorced, and probably got 2 birthday celebrations every year. 

Needless to say; Hubby thinks I am the ANTI-birthday queen.  I'm not in his good graces......

It's so funny when you live with someone and don't see eye to eye.  As we were raised differently, he doesn't get what I went through and I can't fathom what he went through.  But no offense to his mother, she fussed over him incessantly and now he does the same to the girls.  It's cute at times, but other times, I feel like O.M.G........

That said, I think it's a good balance.  He remembers the little things that I forget.

I keep telling him we are a good team with our totally different views.  We keep each other in check.

But we will still likely screw up our kids, because that is what parents do; right???

When my kids are mad at me, I tell them, "I know I'm screwing up your life; and you will let me know exactly how later!!!"  (they always blame the mom, right???)

And why is it always the mom's fault?  Can you answer me that???  I think it's crap!!  Mom's usually put in the most hands on hours with the intention of building our children up!  I have yet to meet a mom that says, "I can't WAIT to screw up my child today!!"

Seriously!!!

But whatever.......

Avery got through her birthday and she had a cake (thank you Chris) and presents (thank you Chris).

And today we will meet at Farrells with a couple of her BFF's and celebrate again.  Then on Sunday, when we have grandparents over.....we will celebrate yet again.....

My children aren't want for much.  I'm seriously not worried about them.  They will have bad memories of our child rearing no matter how hard we try.  At least with something like birthdays I will remember and can start formulating my defense now.....

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment