Saturday, July 14, 2012

Wall-a-palooza

Yesterday was our dance banquet.  They did something fun this year and took it to a skating rink.

I was very excited by this.  Simply because I.love.skating.

In case you were wondering....YES.....this is where I go from "back when" to today...

I'm gonna say it.....  here we go.....

BACK WHEN I WAS A KID we spent the days outdoors.  Roller rinks were a regular thing and most of us didn't come home until the street lights came on!  (However, in Villa Park, I don't remember street lights......

Anyway.....let's just say that when I walked into that rink yesterday, I couldn't wait to get my skates on.  I didn't even sit with my kids while they got their skates from the counter.  I just put mine on and hit the floor.

I believe my first skates had metal wheels.  By the time I was an adult; you could find me at the rink skating adult nights every Thursday.

I didn't know anyone who couldn't skate.

So to skate around the rink and see all these kids hugging the walls was a bit of a surprise to me.  Until I realized it is more or less a sign of the times.

I remember as a kid NEVER wanting to be like my parents with all their 'stupid' stories of how they had to be creative and find things to do because they were poor, or whatever.  I was NEVER gonna be that parent!!

But I am.... And if you are a kid, reading this....YOU WILL BE TOO!!!!

You can't help but refer back to what you knew as a kid.  And there are times that things seem a bit appalling.  Thankfully, I'm surrounded by a lot of sweet kids.  But there are some kids who play their parents like a fiddle!!!   I know in my house growing up, there is no WAY that would happen.  But today, it's more common than not.

Seeing how kids don't skate was a reminder of how things had changed.    The funny thing was; if you knew these kids and you knew how incredibly talented they all are; how graceful or how agile - you would never guess it by the way some skated.  I actually found it hilarious.  And as I skated by some of the kids, backwards, I said, "Finally, something I can do better than YOU!!!"    I did have a lot of fun with it.

It was surprising to see that some of the best skaters were us adults.  But again, not a huge surprise!!!  We certainly enjoyed our time there!!!

These kids have worked really hard this year.  They are amazingly talented and it was a lot of fun to celebrate their accomplishments.  It's hard to believe another year has gone by.  I have watched my own kids grow leaps and bounds in ability and confidence.  Aspen actually got voted Most Valuable Dancer for her team.  We were both so surprised as there are so many great candidates in her dance.

It's really hard to look back at what I had and see what the kids of today have.  There really is no comparison; times have changed.  Kids aren't outside as much, so the inside 'sports' are taking over their lives. 

It's just times like skating, when I remember how much fun I had (and still have), I can't help but think my kids are cheated, just a little bit, on how much fun they could be having.  And the experiences they are missing out on.  And they are experiences within my control. 

I thought about getting my kids rollerblades and using them down at newport on the strand.  And if I don't get that far, then RSM Lake is also a perfect candidate. 

Just to get outside and enjoy the day. 

My goal this summer is to include some of those fun activities.  Along with hiking in Whiting Ranch (which is right up the road), and sunset visits to the lake.

We have a road trip planned this year.  I can't wait to enjoy those adventures.  I may even consider bringing my roller blades 'just in case.....'

Here's to a happy 'outdoors' childhood!!

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment