Thursday, July 19, 2012

Countdown to reunion......

I swear I should start writing my blog at night.  Right before bed my mind starts reeling on different things.  The ideas are practically FLYING through my head.  But by morning, I have slept them away and it takes about a gallon of coffee to bring them back.  And I don't quite reach a gallon of coffee..... so here I am.....

It's two days until my reunion.  25 years.  Jeez almighty.  Where has the time gone?

Though it feels like yesterday, I struggle to formulate one memory from high school.   It wasn't my favorite time.  And I have no idea how I graduated,  because my GPA was so low, it was embarrassing.  But here I am 25 years later...they let me walk.

What's happened since then? 

A lot.  And not that much.

Isn't it funny how time passes?  There are days you think will never end and years you can't remember?  So weird.

I never thought I would look back on my yearbooks and say, "Who was that?"  or "I don't remember them at all!"  But I do.

I had a Teacher one time many many years ago say, "Make sure you put the last names when you sign the yearbooks.  You WON'T remember them later, trust me!" 

I thought to myself; "You are crazy lady...I will NEVER forget these people...."   Guess what I tell my kids every year... (and they don't listen just like me).

The sad thing is; some of these kids were classmates since KINDERGARTEN.......  and I don't remember them

I remember seeing an episode of Married with Children.  Kelly (the daugher) was a stereotypical blond.  The brother was way smarter and in one of the episodes, he had to help Kelly learn for a test.
When the parents checked in after a few days, Kelly was able to recite whatever information she needed.  The parents were astounded.

The son said that because the daughter only has so much capacity in her brain, she may have forgotten other things in her life. 

Then the doorbell rang.  And the daughter looked around and said, "What's that noise?"

I have thought about that episode so many times over the years, because I truly believe my brain is maxed out on space and bumps old information as necessary. 

Unfortunately; some of my schoolmates have hit the editing room floor along the way of my life.

Thankfully with Facebook I have reconnected or reintroduced myself to many and I will be seeing a few of those this weekend. 

You know getting older is a mixed bag....  As a kid, you can't WAIT to grow older.  You aren't 11 you are 11 and a HALF.....or almost 12.  Then by the time you get to your 40s you are doing  your best to forget your birthdays and duck under the radar as much as possible!!!

However, I wouldn't go back if I had the choice (well, except of course to see a few people who have since passed).

The insecurities and false sense of self.  The acting cooler than you are scene.... ughhh...  no thank you.

One thing I do remember as a kid....being oblivious of the issues I would have to face as an adult.  And though I'm still oblivious to so many things in so many ways....I am way okay with where I am.

It will be fun to visit with everyone this weekend.  Actually see them face to face. 

Most of the people I am seeing were not from the circles I ran in high school.  So thankfully when they say, "Remember when....?" I won't really have to because I wasn't a part of it and if I was, I wouldn't remember anyway so what's the difference right????

Here's to reminiscing and being at peace.

Happy Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment