Friday, July 6, 2012

Let's go ladies....

I'm up and eating eggs and making coffee.  I have an 8am appointment and then I gotta come home and pack for Palm Springs. 

I'm mostly ready, but what is different this time is instead of just making sure the girls are packed for their competitions.....I have to pack for MY competition too!! (GULP)

This is a new one on me; and I just remembered yesterday.....and then I giggled.

For a moment there I felt absurd about the whole thing.  I mean, what responsible non-dance mom wouldn't?  This is TOTALLY out of our comfort zone, and the nationals competition is for kids!

So why are we doing this???

Well, in the famous words of my daughter (lately)......why WOULDN'T we do this???

In the beginning, I think most of us just started as though it were all a prank.  It was supposed to be a big surprise for our kids and they weren't supposed to see ANY of it until we showed up on stage.

But as we are at the studio practicing, and many of us can't shake our kids off any more than we could shake off a case of hives; they ended up seeing it before it was ready, and there were a couple of times where they got to critique our progress.  (I will never forget the day that one of the 12 year old girls - higher level hip hop - was showing us how we can make it bigger and better.  And as she is a great little dancer; we took it in!)

So as the season progressed, and our surprise out the window, we we committed.  No turning back.
When we were asked if we actually wanted to compete the number, many of us said, "Hell yeah!"  But again, not sure we all thought this one through.

But still, here we are, reveling in how far we have come.

Last night was our last official practice.  Our teacher changed a few more things for us, and worked on area's where we are 'loose'.  God, I love that man!!!

You want to know character and intergity?  It's a man who promises to see it through with you; builds you up (even though he had many many chances to tear us apart).  A man who inspires you and encourages you!!

I'm sure his vision was a bit more "sharp" than what we are able to perform at our level.  But not once  did he say, "Well....it's as good as it's gonna get!"

Now, I am NOT knocking us.  Because to be honest, I am so proud of how far we come.  But when you put yourself SO FAR out of your comfort zone....and then throw yourself in front of a competition that will be judged.....well, let's just say we get kudos no matter what!!!

I am SUPER proud of all us women.  But more than anything I love them all!!  What courage!  What a great example!  What a great role model!  We ladies have bonded through this whole experience and become much closer as a result of this.  I am honored to be standing up there with each one of them!!

This morning as I pack my costume (all pieces including accessories), I will be going through the routine in my mind, making sure I remember the sequence and the intention of each move.

Though I know we will be nervous, I know our kids will be in the audience cheering so loudly that we won't really care about anything else (except finishing it nicely.....).

It's going to be a weekend well-deserved.  Part fun, part competition ,and the rest; relaxing!!!!

Good luck to all at Competition this weekend!

MVD....PAC..... You KNOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment