Thursday, July 26, 2012

My baby

Today is Avery's 10th birthday.

I can't tell you how my life has changed since she has arrived.  I see her and I often think of my dad; because I know he would get the biggest kick out of her. 

She's me.  Only smaller.

When I was a kid, I was explosive.  (don't laugh. It's true.  I know it's hard to believe but just go with me on this).

First thing that took me by surprise is her red hair.  People ask me all the time where she got it.  I tell them from her "father".  They say, "But Chris doesn't HAVE red hair".  I look at them sideways and say, "No...HER father....."  to which they give me a very strange look when they realize what I'm saying until I start laughing.

I can't help but use that one over and over again.  No one expects it.

But she is ours.  100%.

From the first day she arrived; she knew what she wanted.  Only we weren't prepared for it.  She's kind of a go-getter.  She gets things in her mind and they MUST happen!!! 
I do love that about her, but it tends to make her a little inflexible.

Dessert didn't exist in this house until she came along.  Every night after dinner if I tell her it's time for bed her response is simply, "But I didn't get dessert yet!" 

And as today is her birthday she believes that NO ONE in her life should have to work. She wants to take the day off and would like us all to join her in her celebration.

And as her mother I do agree.  Birthdays should be celebrated.   Life should stop for the birthday person and they should get everything they want!  EVERYTHING!!!

Unfortunately life doesn't work that way.  And there, inlies the rub.......

I have a photo shoot first thing this morning. Thankfully, she is okay with that.  If we go to Starbucks on the way for her special breakfast, all will be forgiven.  I told her we would have to wake extra early to do so and she simple said, "I don't care!"

She also wants her hair curly.  She will look special on her birthday.   It's in her mind.  It will happen.  Her hair was done last night and when she wakes up we will see what we created.  A birthday girl with the curl.

She's taught me a lot.  As her mom, I have learned much patience, seen much laughter, and dried many a tear.  I have gotten big bad squeezy hugs and wet kisses.

She reminds me about living passionately.  She is nothing if not passionate about what she wants.

She can laugh like no other and she is quite amazing with children.  That is one thing that throws me.  She can tumble with the best of them in a fight yet when it comes to little ones; she's just perfect.


I am happy to celebrate my beautiful little redhead on her birthday.

Avery, you remind me where I come from and who I was.  You teach me to listen and to be present.  You are amazing and I love all that you are and all that you will become.

My wish for you this birthday is that you feel celebrated.  You are unique, beautiful and I love you very much!!!





Happy Birthday to my fiery redhead!

Love Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment