Thursday, July 12, 2012

Nice Parenting......

What kind of mom doesn't want to plan her daughters birthday party? 

This mom!

My poor child is practically chasing me around the house trying to plan her birthday party.  She has the list, the ideas, the day, the time, and ideas for the 'goodie bags'.....all I have to do is pull the trigger.

And what do I do?  I find myself running around the house trying to avoid her and not give eye contact for fear that she'll "Get me".

How pathetic am I???

This time of year always makes me cringe.  I am NOT a planner!!!  (May I remind you the Mothers day where I forgot to invite the Mother???)

She wants a sleepover - I don't.
She wants it at the house - I don't.
She wants a ton of activities - I have to officiate

She even knows who she wants to make her cake (and it's not me).

So what is my opposition?  Someone's feelings always get hurt.

Birthday's have stressed me out since they were little.  I think the only one I really enjoyed was Aspen's 1st bday.  There were 50 people there - all adults.  It was at a park and it was hotter than Hades outside.  Poor Aspen had a random fever (which she has suffered at least 4 of her birthdays - weird) and I was so excited to celebrate her first year!!!  Easy peasy.

Now, fast forward 11 years and I'm fit to be tied.....and put in a corner.....because I don't wanna do it.

One year in particular, I had to tell a friend that her daughter wasn't invited.  I was crushed.  Another year I lied to a friend saying we didn't have a party. 

It just kills me!

My husband rolls his eyes, "Just do it.  What's the big deal?"  Ya.....what's the big deal (mom's help me out here).

It's become a well-versed thing for my kids, "Don't tell your friends you are going to so and so's party, because not EVERYONE was invited!"  UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We just went through that recently with a party one of the girls was invited to.  It's just crazy!!!

Do you remember such fuss when WE were growing up???  I got handed a few bucks to go to Ralph's and buy a "day old" cake.  (Yes, I'm serious).  I remember one year my cake was even lopsided.  There was 3 inches of icing on one side and barely a mm of icing on the other.  I remember my sister laughing her head off at me about it.  SHE PICKED IT OUT!!!  Brat!  I think I ended up laughing too....after the tears of course.

It's not that I don't want to celebrate my kids.  We always have a family birthday and that is fun.  But the friends thing is just a little more complicated than I wish to engage.

The sad part in all this, poor Avery said (after hours of my avoidance)....doesn't ANYONE want to talk about my birthday???  (Gosh, I suck as a mom!!!!)

If my husband loves me, he will step up to the plate.  (hint hint).....  But my feeling is we will go forward with this.  For goodness sake, it's already planned!!!  I just have to throw out the Evite (doesn't get any easier than that) and do it.

Please wish me luck that no little hearts get hurt and that my children can keep quiet.  If I go forward with this, it may be a VERY small offering.  Her list is pretty long, and I'm just not that rich to get all those goodie bags and all the stuff she wants in it......

So glad it's a summer birthday....  School year birthdays everyone's feelings get hurt!!

Here's to happy birthdays for all!

Happy Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment