Monday, June 11, 2012

Pictures, dance and recital

Had a very full weekend with pictures and dance.  Between the girls and myself, we had 8 pictures and picture times between us.  That means 8 costumes, accessories and lots of makeup.

Thankfully for me, I left it to my kids to grab their own stuff and I grabbed mine.  All we had to do from that point is wait!!!

When you are in a recital, you are required to take the team picture, whether you order the pictures or not.  I think that is a fair request.  When people don't show up for their pictures, they don't get to be on the wall, but besides that, having been in dance for 8 years now with the girls; it's nice to know who was on the team.

However picture day is no walk in the park.  Two of the studios are set up with photographers (no, not me) and they are rifling through all the pictures.  It's quite the feat. 

With a studio supporting 1700 students (give or take), and roughly 40 dances per cast and 4 casts....well... you do the math. 

Thankfully, they have it all pretty well laid out.  Everyone has their call time for pictures, so though a lot of people are coming in and out, not many of them are there for long. 

Not many.....but me!

Aspen' had morning times, I had afternoon (with the mom crew) and Avery had afternoon.  We were there until about 6.

No big deal.  Just another day of dance.

I didn't order one picture.....

Weird, huh?

If I figure at least $30 per team times 8, I'm looking at $240.  And as I just had to buy 3 pairs of jazz shoes (two black and one tan.....don't ask) I think I need to pick and choose how I spend the money.

My girls are propelling forward, so I need to be more selective in my financial planning.  Thankfully, I was able to get pictures of all my girls from their recital, so I'm covered.  And I can get their team pictures during the recital when they dance on stage. 

I have been shooting the recital since 2004.  Over the years it's become quite the production.   Shows have increased, casts have increased, it's been amazing to watch grow.  Inevitably at the end of every show, I have cried my makeup off watching all these cute kids dance.  Many I have watched grow, and every year, we see long time students move on to college.

At this time, both of my girls are still emerging.  Their skills are developing and I can't wait to see them every year.

As I watched them change yesterday into each new costume, I found myself curious to know what their dances will be.

In years past, I would watch their class, so by the time recital came, I knew exactly what to expect.  But in the last two years, they have been dropped off (as they are there for 3 hours each day), so  I have no idea what to expect.  What a way more exciting way to go into recital!!

As we gear up for recital, I know this month will be a whirlwind.  I'm reminded why I take pictures.....because I can't remember a thing in the month of June!

But that's okay.  When July comes,  it will be time to (almost) relax.  We still have nationals.  And this year we (moms) are competing.  But after nationals....you will find me chillin at the lake with a nice book in my hands.  Not sure I'll be reading it.  I may just revel in the fact that it's there.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment