Sunday, June 24, 2012

My Day with Marilyn....

I always love new challenges.
A friend wanted to do a Marilyn shoot.  As soon as she told me this, I was all over it!  I couldn't wait to get my hands on her an see what we could come up with.

The makeup was the hardest part.  I'm not a makeup artist, but I know a thing or two.  So we went to work as soon as she got here.  We had a great time creating this character to the best of my abilities.

As we got into the studio to start taking pictures, I could see she was uncomfortable.  The first few minutes always are.  It's awkward not knowing what to do or how to bring the character to life.  So we went through her book of pictures and we talked about who Marilyn was and I asked what drew her to Marilyn.  As she started speaking, I could see her starting to come to life.

Now, as a photographer, my goal is always "Just ONE good shot!"   The rest is gravy.

As we both did a little research on Marilyn this week, we both had ideas of what she was about and what we wanted to achieve.  My main goal is to achieve my clients vision more than anything else.  But I have to do my best to bring it out of them.

As we switched things around, new outfit, new poses, I brought out my leopard print couch.  She was instantly comfortable on it.  We talked about Marilyn and how vulnerable she was.  I asked my client to connect with her character and think about how she must have felt at certain points of her life. 

And as we were talking, something happened.  That divine moment.  I don't know what it was and I'm not even sure I can put it into words.  But for a moment, something moved over me as I looked through the camera at my client.  The look in her eyes, the far off gaze, the hair, the makeup, the pose..... it happened.... For a moment, I seriously felt like Marilyn was in the room.  And like a ton of bricks, I felt the weight of Marilyn's life fall heavy on my heart.  I snapped the shot and had to put down my camera.

I was so overtaken with emotions, I had to stop for a minute.

In my years of photography, that has never happened to me.  I was litterally choked up and unable to breathe.  Tears filled my eyes and my heart swelled with pain for this poor woman, who's life went sideways and ended far too early.

At that point, I thought I had what I needed, but I wanted to press on for just a few.  And in the next few minutes we got some of the best pictures of the day. 

And then we got a few more.....

It was such a great experience.  To take someone out of their daily life and create something that will last a lifetime.  To showcase someone in a totally different light!

I love what I do.  But nothing makes me happier than a client looking at pictures of themselves saying, "That's ME?" 

It was an emotional day for sure.  But very rewarding on so many levels!!
Below is my before and after of my client.  She's a doll and she makes a darned good Marilyn!!!


Happy Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment