Thursday, June 14, 2012

Confidence building.....

Last night we had dance class.  Moms in a group ready to learn more and adjust what we already know.

It's so funny to think how far we have come from our first days of practice.

Something happened after we were on stage....to all of us.  We realized that despite our doubts, we could pull it off.  I think we shed a whole layer of doubt and left it behind us.

When we fall into practice now, our approach feels stronger.  Now that we know we can do it, we want to improve.  So our intention has changed.  There are fewer questions in class as Mookie tells us what to do.

Mookie is in the process of changing our dance up.  If he had tried to change our dance before our first performance, we would have been fraught with doubts and fears.

Now that attitude is more like, "Okay..bring it!"

What a great feeling as we stand together knowing how capable we are. 

Too often in life, we don't want to be uncomfortable, or "put out" (read yesterdays blog), so we don't bother with anything extra.

When I was losing weight, I had told myself all my life I was not a runner.  But as walking wasn't doing it for me anymore, I decided to push it a little and start jogging.  It was uncomfortable, but what I found was I could be a runner if I just applied myself.  I may never be the fastest runner, but that wasn't the point.  I just wanted to give it a try.  And when I finished my first 5k, I remember thinking wow!  What next?  So I did the Camp Pendleton Mud Run.  After that, I thought OMG....if I could do this....what else can I do??  And I did a half marathon!!

I realized the only limitations were in my mind.  But it was important to start slow and build.  And that is exactly what we have done in this dance class.

Mookie got frustrated with us yesterday because we were starting to let those fears creep in.  He told us to run it through so he could see.  He felt like all he was hearing was 'excuses' from us.  I really appreciate that he challenged us on this, because, besides the fact that he was right - we could do it; he called us out!  And he didn't let us stay in our comfort zone. 

A good teacher will challenge you while respecting you.  He is VERY good at doing that.  He respected our fears and pushed us through them.  And ..... we moved on from there!

The changes in the dance are a little challenging.  Again, putting us out of our comfort zone.  But as we have already proven we can pull it together, why not give it a shot.

I appreciate the dedication Mookie has given to us.  He has been a great inspiration, and I hope he realizes how much we appreciate him. 

We may not be his strongest or best team.....but I can darn well bet we are the most grateful!!

Push yourself just a little farther than you thought.  It's good to be uncomfortable.

Happy Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment