Sunday, June 10, 2012

Getting "Out"

I was up early this morning.   I rolled out of bed so I could run to Weight Watchers and weigh in.  I'm up a little and I have to do damage control.

So naturally, after weigh in (and the resolve to do better this week) , I went to the donut shop. 

Funny how old rituals come to pass.  I actually went to grab the kids a treat, but as I'm standing in front of the cinnamon rolls, well...you can guess the outcome!!!

One might judge me for my decision, but truth is, it was my weigh in ritual as a member.  It's my one "treat" for the week and now I'm off!  I'll be more conscientious all week.  I know a lot of members who do the same thing!!  I can recover from today....but if I do it the rest of the week.....good gosh almighty!!

But we have to indulge, right???

So as I approached the donut shop, it's so funny the feelings that creep up.  What is it about a donut shop that makes me feel like a kid???

Well, I'm glad you asked!!!

I started working when I was in 6th grade.  A paper route.  I have blogged about this before.

The donut shop was about 2 miles down the road from our house.  When I had a Sunday paper route, I would get up at 5am, ride down to the donut shop (Winchells, thank you) and bring a dozen donuts to my colleague.  (don't ask).

Something about the smell of a donut shop sends the senses reeling.....  Along with the bevy of choices....yum yum....  But what it also does is take you back to a simpler time.

As I walked into the donut shop, I saw to senior gentlemen sitting at the table, reading the paper.  I was in there for about 5 minutes and not a word was exchanged between the two of them (sitting at the same table).  All I heard was the rustle of the papers.

It made me appreciate the act of leaving the house to enjoy a moment out.

I was driving home last night and this very though occurred to me.  Most people spend their time within a few mile radius of their home.  We get so complacent with our lives, that we forget how blessed we are to have freedom of choice.

I do my best to get down to the beach, even if only for an hour.  My husband doesn't like it there, the kids are usually in school or dance, so I'm on my own. No complaints there.  Talk about solitude.

As I watched these guys at the table, with what looked like a Sunday morning ritual, I found myself a bit envious.  They looked content.

I left with my box of donuts and wished them a good day.  One of the guys looked up at me, surprised they were even acknowledged.  But to be honest, it was more of a tipping my hat to them as if to say, "Thank you". 

Every so often we need a reminder of what we can do!!

Think outside the box....

Happy Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment