Friday, June 22, 2012

Little Stuff

I should start writing my blog at night.  Millions of things go through my head.  My thinking is at its best.  By morning, of late, I have been without much thought and much introspection. 
Maybe I have spewed all that is in my brain.

A penny spent.....

Last night I realized a lot of what is hooking up my brain.

I offer little things to people and my brain will NOT let them go!

Example....  I was doing head shots for a corporate staff and this cute dog goes walking by.  We move aside to let it pass and (squirrel) I ask the owner if I can take its picture.  Lady says yes..... I tell her I'll email her a copy....  Then I go home, take care of the corporate stuff and walk away from the dog......

.........but I said I would email her a picture.................

That was about a month ago!

Then, about 3 weeks ago, when my brother was here, we went to the top of the Hollywood sign.  I get to the top and there is a German Shepherd crouched next to his owner, who is on the edge of the hill taking pictures.  I have my camera, so "squirrel" I snap a shot!  I told him I would send him a copy........... and then I walked down the hill............

I said it, therefore is MUST happen!!!

I also realized my daughter is historian for her dance team.  One of the moms REALLY showed us up last year and collaged AND FRAMED a 12x12 for each of her daughters team mates (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!), so I can't show up empty handed...  I have been thinking about this for a long time.

Now, I'm not going to be showing up that mom, because I'm not that gifted and don't have the time...but I refuse to show up empty handed.  And if I let myself go until the last stinkin' minute, like I always do, then the result will not be pretty.

So last night I took those "little stuff" (referring to the tasks, NOT the children...) and get them out of the way and be done with them so I can move forward on the things that really need my attention.

I have to learn that when I offer something, I rarely let myself off the hook.  And it's pretty apparent that I get caught up in a moment and offer the world to people I don't know if they have a dog!  (who knew I was such a dog person). 

So I will have to work on changing my tactics in the future.  If I see a dog, and I have a camera, I must merely shake the dogs hand and move on. 

But my point is the little stuff just hooks me up and makes me feel like a failure if I don't complete it.  And I am constantly throwing lots of little stuff in my way.

In years past, I used to try to make sure I gifted the teachers and the principal and the office staff at my daughters' school.  This year, I did not.  And though I felt a bit guilty, because they do deserve special gifts, I just couldn't do it this year.  I didn't have the mental energy, or the finances to accommodate what I was thinking in my brain.  So I just had to let it go. 

Letting go is definitely hard, because it's easy to feel like a failure.  It's hard to feel accomplished.

So to help myself feel a bit more accomplished, I need to manage the little things that I tend to put into my own path.  It's honestly crazy-making and I can't go there right now.

So, as of this morning, the dog pictures have been sent, and the end of the year pictures have been done for the team, and team pictures have been ordered for my own dance team.  I'm so thankful to have that little stuff off my plate.

NOW...if I can just figure out how to take a video that I shot upside down and turn it right side up so I can pass it along....my day will be made!!

Ughhh.......

Happy Friday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment