Thursday, June 21, 2012

Dance Blog???

I think I need to start a new blog.  It is about dance.
My experience this year has been amazing.  I have seen such growth in both of my daughters; I have gotten to spend a lot more time immersed in it, especially since I started taking classes.

It's crazy all I have learned!

The most important of which is....I really know nothing about dance!!

At the beginning of this year, I knew there was Jazz, Tap, Tumbling, Ballet, Lyrical, Contemporary, Musical Theater, Hip Hop and a few more.

But throughout the year I have learned more about the equipment and tools for each discipline, many of the of the nuances of each dance, the different approaches and influences for the dances, some of the names of the moves (mostly hip hop, because that is my class) and most importantly the specific approach of many of the teachers.

What an amazing education it has been this year.

Yesterday, Aspen had her very first ballet Private lesson.  And happily, I got to watch.
The instructor for Aspen was a very (can I say extremely) talented 19 year old girl who is extremely accomplished and very well versed in her discipline.  For all that she is accomplished, she is humble and sweet and beautiful both inside and out.

For the time of the practice, I watched Aspen listen intently to her teacher and work diligently to execute every correction she was given.  I was behind glass in the lobby, so I couldn't hear, just see.

As Aspen came out to switch to her pointe shoes, the girl came out to tell me what a great job Aspen was doing.  She was a very serious student and she took to instruction very well.  Thankfully, she didn't go on too much (though I could have listened for hours), because I would have been in tears.  I could feel them welling up as she walked back into class.

Proud doesn't even describe my feelings.

As I stood in the lobby, watching, the girls mother came in and we talked about ballet.  She told me more of her daughters story.  She has been dancing since she was very young and won the Hope award as well as the Silver something somewhere.....  No disrespect at all, but as this is all new to me, much of it went over my head (and the mother knew that).  What I got from it was it was all a VERY big deal and her daughter is gifted, not just talented.

I had to leave before the lesson was done, but I left with such gratitude.

What a gift to be taught by such an amazing and accomplished dancer.  Aspen smiled the whole time she was in there.

I learned something from the mother for which I am grateful....I am not the one to issue corrections to my daughter in dance.  I may SEE it....but I'm NOT to speak of it.  I will simply mention it to someone my daughter will listen to.  ( I think that is how marriage works too, right??)

Anyway, it has been an informative year for me and the growth in my girls has been amazing.

I have a feeling the upcoming years are going to be a whirlwind.  Though it hasn't been said, I get the feeling I need to "Buckle Down and get ready".   Aspen has drawn a bit of attention this year.  And as a proud mom, I do believe she has worked hard and deserves it.  But as we don't always get what we deserve, I am very aware at what a blessing this is.

So,  though I will continue to write this blog.... I may have just found a spinoff......  Stay tuned.

Happy Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment