Thursday, June 28, 2012

Flashback /Flashforward

I always say life is about 'moments'.  And I do treasure my moments....

Well, I had one last night.

I watched Aspen in one of her routines, and I had a flash forward moment!

Actually, it was a flashback/flash forward moment.

As I sat watching her tumble across the stage with some advanced students, I reflected back to about 4 years ago, when at an MVDPAC Recital, I watched a similar tumbling routine and thought to myself; whoever that teacher is, I want her for Aspen!

I quickly found out it was Miss Theresa Turner. 

I signed Aspen up for her class the very next session.  Aspen has a natural gumby-ability.  Something Avery and I do not have.  Avery and I have to work hard to touch our toes.  Although, I quit trying to do that years ago, Avery can do the splits, but she was worked VERY hard to do so.  (As soon as Avery saw what Aspen was learning in Theresa's class, she wanted the same.  So we signed her up.)

Over the years, I have watched Aspen kill rows of grass practicing Aerials and back hand springs for  Miss Theresa.

And last night, it finally happened.   I watched the dance for the first time and I about cried (I know...not a far reach for me, but still).  It was one of "those" moments when you see your dreams come to fruition. 

Miss Theresa did not disappoint. 

I know I talk a lot about dance.  But when I talk about dance, I am talking about my childrens' life experiences.  As they are at the studio more often than they are home, this place is literally shaping who my kids are becoming.

This morning, I had a 20 minute argument about how Avery doesn't need to be at the recital because she isn't in any of the dances and both her dad and I will be working it.  So she had the opportunity to "opt out" and she practically cried that she wants to see the show and be there.  REGARDLESS of the fact that it's the same show she has seen about half a dozen times already. 

She just wants to BE there!!!  This is her (and our) extended family.  She doesn't want to miss a minute!

As Aspen is in 3 of the 4 casts, she will be there.  To Avery, "That's not fair!!"  So Avery finagled her way in....  But I'm making her work! 

The point is, they WANT to be there every second of every day.  Their experiences with this studio, its staff, dancers, and dancers parents is who my kids are growing around and being influenced by.  And that is okay with me!!!

This year, the them is CELEBRATE (the last 20 years of the studio's existence). And in the show there are testimonials from dancers who have been there 10-12-14 years.... and they are graduating.  They reflect back on their experience with the studio and dance, and how it has all shaped who they are and who they have become.  And as I watched the testimonials, I am proud of each of these girls.  And I had yet another flash-forward moment thinking about my own girls giving their testimonials for this studio in a few years. 

It's hard to say good bye to something that has been so much a part of your life.  But these girls are moving on to college.  One of those girls was a huge inspiration to me when I first put Aspen into dance.  She was also in tumbling.  So to see my girls on the path to what these girls have achieved warms my heart and makes me look very forward to what we have to experience.

If you don't feel this way about your dance studio.....well then maybe you should check out MV Dance!!!  (mvdpac.com). 

Thank you Miss Theresa for giving me one of those "moments" in life I will never forget!!!

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment