Monday, June 4, 2012

And.....you're on!

You know how it's really hard to sleep the night before you travel; especially when you have an early flight?  Well I found that performing for your first time has the same affect!!

Talk about a whirlwind day!  It started out with lack of sleep and went crazy from there.

When you are at competition, you are surrounded by many families and many friends and many of your kids' friends.  So suffice it to say, there is lots of socializing going on...and late bed times.

Unfortunately, the whole spending the night in a hotel thing is a mixed bag.  You book a room because you need good rest, but then you end up socializing and partying (if you will) with people you rarely get to see.  The place is usually charged with excitement and energy!

Well, as we moms were performing for the first time, you can add more than energy to that list; Anticipation, fear, uncertainty, fear......asking yourself over and over "HOW did I get into this???" (and did I mention FEAR?)

Thankfully for me, the day started with makeup.  As many of the moms don't wear makeup, I offered to help out.  Apparently makeup is my thing.  I think I'm starting to come to terms with it.

So, I had two in my hotel and three come up to have me help them out.  This was a great distraction for me.  It was also a great way to bond with them on a totally different level. 

For the past few months we have been exposed to moms we may see, but not have time to talk to.  We all signed up for the task of competing a dance to "show up" our kids.  Little did we know that most of us were unqualified for the task.  So to actually get us to be stage ready was a lot of hard work, an act of God and a MAJOR act of "Mookie" (our ever patient awesome and amazing choreographer and teacher).  I'm sure Mookie had no idea what he was undertaking when we walked into the room.  The fact that he stuck it out with us....he has our undying gratitude.....

The difference between teaching kids and moms is this;  Kids don't challenge what they are told and most don't ask a ton of questions.  They really don't think beyond the words spoken to them.

MOM's however, (as students) have the ability to think way ahead, and if something seems off, they question it.  They need to know the how's the where's the why's etc.  This makes learning take a little bit longer than it should.  Throw in doubt and confusion (which many of us had) and it made the process a LOT LONGER.

So, to say we all bonded during this experience would be an understatement.  The fact that I'm in my hotel room doing makeup on five of the women is exciting,  because it represents how far we have all come and that we are actually "here" to do what we set out to do so many months ago.

Our call time was mid morning.  As the last makeup brush fell, we were out the door to meet Mookie to go over the dance.

Emotions were running high (both good and bad).  We were excited, nervous, anxious, doubtful, hopeful - you name it!  There was no turning back!  At one point I was ready to lose it.  I got frustrated at how our "pre game" practice was going and I couldn't take it.  He gave us a break and when I left, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to hold myself together.  Thankfully, I was able to commiserate with one of my teammates to get it out.  She talked me down. 

After our final practice, we sat with anticipation.  I had a final few minutes with Mookie who pumped me up and gave me the last bit of confidence I needed.

We went backstage.....  It was time.  We quickly ran through the dance behind the scenes.  We said a quick prayer, and off we went....  You could feel the energy between us.  The photographer in me was DYING that I couldn't get the shots of the women with sheer anticipation on on their faces. 

As we stood at the foot of the stairs,  hands were shaking hearts were in our throats (okay, mine anyway).  We were literally ironing out the details of where we stand on stage, because most of us had never been and didn't get a stage run through!

Then it happened.....they called our number.  As they announced our group, we could hear the cheers so loud, I had heard nothing like it all day.  I was so touched and overwhelmed, that I turned to a teammate and said, "I think I'm gonna cry"  (mom's, I tell ya!)

As we went out on stage, I didn't dare look up.  I would have lost it.  I looked to my mark and took my spot.....and then the music started.

And then it happened....

There was no turning back and as the music played we hit our spots, and worked together as we had been taught for months.  Out of sheer fear, I did everything with as much accuracy as I could manage.  I looked around at my teammates as if wanting silent reassurance from them.  If I am doing the same thing they are, then I'm good.  And as I looked around, we were on cue.  As the tempo changed and we went into the Krumping section of the dance, I could hear the cheers.  My only goal was to bring the anger that Mookie wanted for this part.  Each move has to be done with intention. 


We are in the home stretch...at the end we run to the front of the stage and explode with the last note......and we hold for 8 counts.  As I look out to the crowd, I'm so full of emotion I see nothing.  But what I hear fills my ears and my soul.   We DID IT!!!  We ACTUALLY DID IT!!!

We stood up and exited the stage....and then I felt it.  All the emotions I tried to keep in.  I could feel my body let go and tears started welling up.  I caught my breath enough to not lose it completely.

As I rounded the back of the stage, I see a tiny and petite sweet running at me to tackle me with a hug.  As she got closer, her smile grew.  Aspen was so proud, I could see it on her face!!  More tears came.  What a great moment.  To be switched with my daughter.  Usually it is I greeting her after her performance.

Close on her heels was Avery.  Same big smile, bigger hug!  What a great moment!!!

Then I saw Mookie....the look on his face said it all.  As we gathered around him, his jaw was dropped and he said, "I have NEVER seen a practice like THAT!!!  You guys BROUGHT IT!"  He went on and we stood listening as if 5 year old children who did a good deed.  And we ate it up!  I could have listened all day, because if you were there BEFORE practice.....you would have never imagined that we would have pulled this off.

But one thing you need to know about moms; when it comes to our children, failure is NOT an option.  Not to say it doesn't happen....but if we have any choice whatsoever, we will NOT let our children down.  We did it for them.  We wanted to do them proud!  To please our teacher.......was icing on the cake!!

We recieved a Gold award for our performance (not bad for a first time - it's basically 3rd place in our category).  But we recieved first place overall which is a GREAT award!!!  That means our efforts were recognized by the judges.

I didn't actually see it, even though it was right in front of me - but I was told the judges gave us a standing ovation!!!

I'll take that over any award on any day!!!

Mookie, you are the bomb.  You took a bunch of blind women and you helped us to see.  You brought us to a level we didn't know we could achieve.  You gave us something to be proud of and for that I am forever grateful!!! I will be flying all week on this high!

I love you tons!!


Happy Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment