Sunday, June 17, 2012

Les Mis....


Last night I went to see Les Miserables.  Let me just say O.M.G.  What a treat!

I went in somewhat blind.  I read along with the book when I was in 6th grade.  But what do you really remember from 6th grade???

I decided to take Aspen.  I wasn't sure if it was going to be over her head, but I was forewarned so I went over the story with her just before the show started.  I know she wouldn't have picked that show in a line up, but sometimes you have to choose experiences for your children.

It wasn't as dark feeling as I thought.  Heavy, yes, dark, no.

It is so great to be able to share these experiences with your child.  Many times I would lean over and sum up many of the scenes.  But the beauty in Les Mis, is each song almost literally sings out what is going on.  So not much explanation necessary.  She seemed to keep up fine.

There were some surprising characters and songs that cracked us up.  We seemed to connect to the same ones.  Apparently we are both for physical humor and silliness.

I didn't realize that I knew some of the songs.  But I guess when you have a musical that spans 25 years, some are bound to fall into your lap.

Aspen started getting tired, but she held on.  The music was awesome and did a great job connecting the story to the characters and the overall feel of the show.

As the show ended, I was very choked up. 

It was really nice to leave a show feeling so connected that your heart actually hurt.

My favorite theater shows are ones I know very little about.  I don't want to know enough to form expectations, because apparently, if I hear something is "SO AMAZING", I expect it to be amazing to MY standards (which are pretty stinkin' high) and then more often than not, it just ends up being "okay".

Remember Forrest Gump?  That's what happened to me.  I kept hearing how great it was going to be, so for the whole movie, I kept waiting for something spectacular to happen.  I didn't realize it was just a really cute simple story.  So I didn't come to appreciate it until later!

I would rather sit back and be completely surprised, knowing just enough to get me by, but not too much for form hopes!!

Weird, huh?

But my theory is this; there are so few pleasant surprises in life.  You gotta take advantage when you have the opportunity, right!!!?????

I'm very thankful we were gifted these tix to Les Mis.  Having heard about it for so long, I was afraid it would disappoint.  But instead, I left knowing what all the hubbub was about!

And getting the see it with my bestie, my mom and my daughter....icing on the cake!!

Today is Fathers Day.  I hope your Fathers are spoiled with love, hugs, kisses and lots of appreciation.  As my dad is in heaven, I have sent him my celestial hugs!  I felt him smile.  Today we will embellish our hugs on Chris' dad.  I hope he's ready for us!

Happy Sunday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment