Thursday, March 8, 2012

Today is your last day.....

I love a good perspective.

Last night I watched Reba McEntire on Oprahs Master Class.

Reba McEntire has been my single most favorite singer of all time. I have followed her for years. She is a wise woman with much of life under her belt.

She gets it.

In 1991, many members of her band died in a plane crash. I remember the day I read the news. I was living in Massachusetts with my parents, and I was in my room and my world stopped. I was so connected to this singer, you would think all my friends died.

It was probably the first day in my life that mortality rang at my doorstep.

My heart sank and I wondered how she would go on. It was only months before that I saw her in concert in Boston. I saw her band. All of them. Her show was an amazing moment in my life.

So to be sitting in my room realizing many of them had died was like a knife in my heart.

It was an awful time. I remember wondering if she would perform again. Her music was a huge part of my life at that time. And as I was a young twenty something, I was naive about life.

It is a funny thing when tragedy happens to another....we can't help but turn it on ourselves. (if you are human anyway).

After a while, I remember the ACM awards was on. Reba was scheduled to sing. I will never forget her song, it was appropriately titled "For My Broken Heart". I cried as I heard her sing. It was a wrenching moment. I had no idea how she summoned the strength.

But then I realized something that would change my world......

She could succumb to her pain, or go on living in their honor.

And in fine Reba fashion, she took he high road!

We can't help what happens to us in life...but we can choose how we respond.

Reba reminded me that we have to live our every day as though it is our last. That we must always leave each other knowing how we feel. That we are not in control. But we have the power to create a good experience or a bad one. We should exercise our power for the better.

Reba has gone on to have many more successes. But as she spoke of her band on Oprah's show, it was clear that her pain is still very present in her heart.

I am very thankful for Reba. She is a stellar example of all our potential. She is an amazing woman and a fabulous humanitarian.

Her potential is what we are all capable of. If we only allow ourselves the chance to achieve it.

I firmly believe we have great role models in our lives and that we all have 'that' potential -we simply need to make the choice!

SO.....if today was your very last day....how would you choose to live it?

Happy Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment