Friday, March 16, 2012

Another fabulous day as a parent

Okay, so seriously....moving from friend zone to "Mom" zone sucks some times.

Not because I get uncomfortable.  Moreso because no matter how calmly I'm talking, my kids go into meltdown mode and, and once that happens, communications are lost.

It's so frustrating.  It was an odd day, because I had to pull the mom card for both kids.   And both of them instantly thought I was mad, or hated them.

I'm not going into great detail, to save face. I would change the names, but as most of you know me, it would be a moot point.

Suffice it to say, in the end, I was able to explain to them not only the lesson they needed to learn, but the consequences if I didn't choose to pull down the hammer "now".

I explained to them that parents have the ability to see what happens, not only today....but down the road.  I have explained that when they see that their friends are getting everything they want in life, that is not a good thing. 

If you give a person a million dollars, will they appreciate it??  SURE... for as long as it takes them to spend every last dime.

But if a person EARNS a million dollars, they will have it longer, because they appreciate the efforts it took to get it!

Don't get me wrong.  It's always nice to be handed something, but the appreciation doesn't come with a handover.

I can't help when I have conversations like this with my kid that I reflect on the conversations my parents tried to have with me.  I remember sitting at the foot of my dads bed as he lectured from his comfy seat.   I remember when report card came, I was always hiding mine, but "happy-skippy-sister-with-the-good-grades" couldn't WAIT to come home and share, so I was instantly thrown under the bus.   And the foot of the bed was where I would end up.  (After the walk of shame down the long hall).  Dad would always ask me one question at the end of his lecture, "Is that the BEST you can do?"  And he was asking to see how I felt about my efforts.  I would tell him no and that I would try harder, and leave.  (Only 'cuz I learned that answer would get me out faster!)

So as I sit and talk to my kids and I listen to their answers, I can see on their faces they are looking for the same recipe.  And I don't blame them.  Because in their mind the person sitting across from them is the enemy and one who wants to foil any plans they have.

Fair enough.

But the bottom line is, my kids are at an age where the manipulation starts to become part of their fabric.  And they don't totally know it yet, but they will be working to hone their skills.  So, I will do my best to stay on top of them.  I made that very clear yesterday.

Thankfully, both my girls are really good kids.  I'm so blessed and thankful for them.  But something tells me I'm in for a good ride!  I'd better get my gloves on.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment