Sunday, March 4, 2012

Rules on vacation

Funny how the creativity flows when you have time to yourself.
But also, funny how your work can follow you anywhere, thanks to the I-crap of the world.

The purpose of taking a weekend away is to take a break from your life. It is time to be with family, focus on each other and leave the normal day to day distractions behind.

That said, I think it is wise to lay some ground rules.......don't push the button!!

Yesterday, we all went to see the Lorax. As we were leaving the theater, I decided to check my phone......And my email, and my facebook........

Yep, I said it......

It's just so easy to do, when it is all at your fingertips and you merely have to push the button.......

And just like that I am in work mode. Not one, but two emails pertaining to both of my jobs......ugh, what was I thinking.

And being a regular I-crap user, these messages were put to the top of my list...it takes nothing to answer them, right?

Until I stopped myself.

I realized they aren't going anywhere. I told my client I would be out of town, so she likely wouldn't be expecting my response. And my boss is only going to ask my advice and do what he wants anyways....so I waited.

All the way til I got back to the condo.

Gosh how pathetic!

I addressed both issues and moved on. It only took a matter of minutes, but I don't think that is the point now is it?

If you take a vacation, and it is only a day....you should honor it. If not for you, for the sake of your family. In one instant, thanks to my phone, I was no longer present with them. I wasn't listening to their conversations or there thoughts, or anything for that matter.....shame on me!

The rest of the day was great. Girls went in the pool, I read a book, the family had a wonderful dinner together, and then we played "Guess the Score". We listen to movie scores and try to figure out which movie. It's funny how listening to the music from the movie you love can still move you when you hear the music.

It was a great day. I mostly adhered to the rules.

I-crap just makes it so easy to stray......

Do yourself a favor....don't push the button....

Happy Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment