Saturday, February 18, 2012

Long drive

Longest drive ever to Vegas.

I knew with the long weekend we were in for it, but I had no idea we would add two hours on to our already long commute.

The drive went down easy as I was with a non stress friend.

One thing is for sure, life is what you make it. If you are going an average of 25 mph on a trip that is over 250 miles, you had better be with someone you like.

This is a potentially stressful situation. It is unfortunate, and by what we could tell, other than being a bunch of weekenders, there was no reason for the traffic.

This happened to us a few years ago on our trip home from Vegas. We cut our trip short because someone (I am not saying who but it wasn't me) wanted to get home in time for American idol.

As we dashed out of Vegas with high hopes of getting home in good time, our plans were quickly dashed...with 13 miles of construction and a million other cars with the same idea in mind. As we sat, feeling a bit stressed and having no idea how long we would be parked, we got a little quiet. And then something happened. Julie started getting the giggles. And as I looked at her with an ounce of concern that she was losing her mind, it was only minutes before I was joining in. I'm not one to leave a laughing person alone. Next thing you know, she was standing out the sunroof taking pictures and all the parked people were posing. It was a trip I will never forget. I don't remember whether she made it to American idol, but I do remember having a great time getting there.

As we drove yesterday, the giggles started again. And just like that, our six hour drive to Vegas turned into a memorable and fun time.

You can create stress, or you can alleviate it. More often than not, stress is totally unnecessary. If you are in a situation that you can't change, you'd better find a way to start loving it fast. Misery isn't worth it.

I don't want to spend my days wondering how it could have been better. Especially when I have the power to make it better at any given moment.

It's all how you look at it. If you don't like what you are looking at, change your perspective.

Happy Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment