Thursday, February 9, 2012

Facebook hurting reunions.....????

I was listening to Mark and Brian this morning and they were talking about Reunions.  Funny, as we are working on planning our own.  They talked about the Do's and Don'ts of reunions.  As I was only half listening, I couldn't really list what they said.  But what I did hear was something about Facebook.

One of the gals on the radio said that with the invention of Facebook, reunions must be more fun.  And the truth was that Facebook is actually HURTING the reunion business.

Two things struck me there; first that it's hurting reunions.  And second, that it's hurting the "Reunion BUSINESS". 

It struck me when I heard it. Of course it's a business.  People get together and money starts -a- flowin'!

You would think it would actually be helping!

HOWEVER........

In the last few days I have gotten messages from people who were a little uncertain whether or not they should attend.  They feel so 'known' on facebook, why bother showing up?

So, I ask the question.....why bother showing up???

Can someone offer you in person what they can't offer you on Facebook?  Or will we all get there, and be disappointed?

How many of us were besties anyways?  And what do we actually have in common with those we want to see?  And what do you say after, "Wow, great to see you, it's been so many years...."

I know some people will want to show up and show off how "hot" they are to their old flames (or the people who weren't nice to them).  There are people who will not want to go, because they don't look like they "should".  And they are people who are just curious and figure, "Why not?"

It's a mixed bag.

Twenty five years is a lot of time.  Though most of us will tell you it's the blink of an eye.  Reunions to me, are just a time-stamp.  It's important to remember where you came from and realize all you have accomplished - good or bad.  It takes us back, but it also propels us forward.

My husband never went back to any of his.   And to be honest, that kind of freaks me out.  He has no connection with his history.  I couldn't do that.  I'm in contact with as many people as I can be.  Because they are my history.  They fill the gaps in my mind.

So whether or not Facebook is hurting all this is unclear.  In my opinion, if more people felt like I did, Facebook wouldn't be able to touch it.

Can't wait to see how this all unfolds.

Happy Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment