Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Lessons from Marilyn

Last night I started watching 7 year itch with Avery.  The kids never know when they are going to be blindsided by an old movie, and usually when they are, they moan a little.

However, I think I'm breaking them in, because when I turned it on, she said not a word.....

As we were watching, the first thing I thought was "It's not as good as I remember."  But I'm not sure how many Marilyn Monroe movies were made to be "good".  I think they were going for more the WOW factor.  And they got it.

The first scene she walks in, she is wearing a form fitting dress.  She's stunning (as she would be in a paper bag).  I told Avery it was Marilyn Monroe and she took notice. 

Funny how some names stand the test of time.

As we watched the movie Avery said, "She talks like she isn't smart".  I said, "Yep....you are looking at the dumb blond era".

She started asking about Marilyn and I said, "She died in 1962 at the age of 36."  Avery looked at me and said, "How'd she die?"  I simply looked at her and said, "Drugs".

But as I sat there I couldn't help but think it wasn't drugs.  It was her lifestyle. 

I showed Avery pictures of her when she was Norma Jean Baker.  Avery's jaw dropped.  I told her that when you get to hollywood, if you don't fit in, you change your image and voila! 
Looking at the difference between Norma Jean:


and Marilyn
I couldn't help but think Norma Jean would be a grandmother to a bunch of kids in some small city somewhere.  Possibly still happily married.

Life comes down the choices we make.  Sometimes we make choices we think are good, but when played out, turn out to be not the best choice.

As I watched Marilyn in her movie, I wondered, "Did she always talk that way, or was that Hollywood influenced?"

I also wondered what her life would have been if she'd stayed out of the limelight.

I don't know what it is that Hollywood does to people, but it rarely pumps out good samaritans.

Years ago, I put Aspen into print work.  She did a couple of ads and it was "cute".  But it certainly wasn't worth the time I put into it and I never got a commercial out of it (for all my 3 months of trying).  And I have to say, I'm grateful.  When Avery came along, her unique coloring and hysterical disposition in life, I considered marketing her for a bit.  And then I stopped.  I'd rather keep my cute little Norma Jean's at home with me, then farm them out to the world so they can pump out, yet another, Marilyn.....

Happy Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment