Tuesday, September 20, 2011

ZAP what???

Yesterday, Aspen came home with a paper that explained a program at their school. ZAP. It means zeros are prohibited. The idea for this program is that kids who don't do their homework, will be forced to stay after school, for an hour, to complete their assignments.

GREAT!!!.....in theory.....

I know where they are going with this program, but what confuses me is (there is no warning) what do you do if you are in a carpool with other kids and you just don't show up? Or...what if you are involved in an extracurricular sport which is equally strict and doesn't approve absenses.

What if the child has a doctors appointment right after school?

It says if the child doesn't show, up; they will receive a consequence.

I believe that the consequence falls on everyone.

My weekly schedule is organized down to the minutes! Today, for example, I have to go to work, get off in time to pick up the kids deliver them to their dance studio and will have just enough time to get to my night meeting.

If they decided to keep my child for an hour, who's consequence is it???

The schools are working very hard to make sure their scores are high. This is good. That means they are really working with the students to make things happen.

However, some policies just aren't perfect no matter how you try to look at them.

Now, I am new to this middle school thing, and I could be reading the program wrong. But it is all like learning a new language. And though I don't anticipate my child being one that will have to stay after school, I do know her plate is pretty full this year, and it is entirely possible, so I need to think it all through.

I honestly thought that with Aspen dancing between 10 and 12 hours a week, she would qualify for independent P.E. But they don't go based on hours. You have to have an even more rigorous schedule than what they even offer at school. It is kind of ridiculous. She goes from P.E. in her last period straight to 3 hours of dance on Tuesdays and Thursdays. HOMEWORK, you ask??? Well, that is after she gets home and after dinner.

That would be a nice hour to have with her doing her homework at school if she got approved for independent PE, but apparently, the school looks at things differently. They must be right....right???

We will do our best to get everything done this year. We will have to be master planners and take advantage of every second of the day, with no room for error. Because if for any reason, Aspen is stuck at school, in the ZAP program, her carpool buddies will be standing at the tree waiting, her carpool mom will be wondering if all the kids got stolen and her dance teachers will mark this against her which could get her kicked out of the program if it happens enough times.

It is all very frustrating. But as others have managed before us, I am sure we will do fine. Just had to speak my peace. (don't act surprised)

Happy Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment