Thursday, September 15, 2011

A lesson for us all

Sleepy heads roll out of bed.  They can't believe it's morning already, because they just laid their heads to their pillows.......

"They" is Aspen.

The schedule is gonna start coming around.  This is her first full week of school/dance.  Last night she was home at 7:30 and waited until dinner was ready to start her homework.  She lost a good 20 minutes, which put her to bed 20 minutes later.......she'll learn.

This year is going to be a HUGE lesson in using our time wisely! But as a child with no concept of time, or time management......we have our work cut out for us.  Mostly because I am her mother.

I'm not saying I am a total loss, but I have been known to .....umm.....what's that word....... Oh, PROCRASTINATE.  (the hell you say!....but alas, it's true).

I put things aside and say, "I'll get back to that".  And in my mind, I get right back to it.  But in reality, my ADD takes over and sometimes I come home overwhelmed with all the "I'll get back to that"s around my house.  Like, literally EVERYWHERE!!!

So....this year we will ALL take a new approach.  It's called "Pre-Planning!"

I learned the skill while losing weight.  I found it came in handy.  (And still does!) 

I have found there is really no excuse for not being organized.  You just need the right tools!

Does anyone have some tools I can borrow?

My husband gets frustrated because the girls room is a mess.  He wants to be able to simply tell the, "Clean your room" and they would reply to him...."it shall be done oh loving father". 
But there is one problem.  They have honestly never been taught on a consistent basis (the key here) to do so.

If I am consistent in one thing....it is being inconsistent.  I'm not proud of it.  But it is who I am.
That which NEEDS to get done will get done, but if it has a few moments before it explodes, I abandon it to do other things.

I have a million books to read and about 5 hot seconds to read them.  So, at this point I am more a "magazine article" kind of girl.  (When I can get to them). 

All my life, my sister had this one up on me.  And now, she has 5 kids who are all self sufficient and (pretty much) organized.

She had the tools to pass down to her children.

What do you do when you don't have the tools???
ASK FOR HELP!!!!

So....my dear readers; if you have any suggestions for a scatterbrained, inconsistent, working momma to help her kids; I'm all ears.

In the meantime, I will have to sit down with my child, show her the "available" times that she should be completing her assignments, offer her incentives (well, both girls, I should say), and pray to God for consistency.

We have already had a teaching moment with Aspen.  As she rolled out of bed exhausted this morning, I iterated that time management is going to be crucial this year.  With 8-10 hours of dance a week on top of her school schedule, we have our work cut out for us!  (cuz I want chores chiseled in there too)  Not too much to ask, right?

Wish me luck, and send me suggestions!
Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment