Friday, September 9, 2011

Not self Conscious...yet conscious........

Yesterday I got to pick up my car.  It had a dent in the bumper and so they put a whole new bumper on for me!  I felt a little guilty that they had to scrap a whole bumper on my account, but it is a brand new car, and if for any reason, (which I doubt) that I want to sell it, I want to make sure any dents are ones I actually incurred.

The few days without the car made me appreciate it more.  I traded in my minivan (of 11 years....longer than most of my relationships) and upgraded to a vehicle that should suit the whole family. 

From the moment I drove it off the lot, I felt like it was meant for me.  And I have driven a LOT of cars in my life.  None really "did" it for me. 

This one does.

And, for some reason, I feel guilty about it.

I wouldn't consider myself a hugely indulgent person.  I don't care about getting my hair and nails done.  I don't really care to do my makeup unless I have to, and it doesn't bother me if my clothes are a bit wrinkled.  I don't really live my life with the fear of how someone will judge me, because I know I try to be the best I can, and I am okay with that. 

I feel bad for people who feel they need to primp and preen to be accepted.  We are who we are on the inside.   I honestly try to look at the inside of people before I judge anyone.  I would hope the same from others to me.

So to drive my "mama" van for 11 years was a great honor.

When I took the car in, I ended up with a rental.  A Ford Expedition.  A very LARGE Ford Expedition. 

It's a really nice car.  I love how kids can just pile in there.  But the car did not fit "me". 

Now....I have to take a step back.  Because the truth is (as I can now recall), I do care how some people think of me.  Because as I was writing this, a day came to my mind, where I was really quite embarrassed at what I had, and it made me reflect on how some people do judge.

I was hired for a job at the St. Regis in Monarch Beach.  Ritzy, Glitzy and Glamorous!  I was there representing someone else.  I was an additional shooter for a very high profile event.

As I pulled up in my mama van, with it's gas smell emanating (that the mechanic swore didn't exist), I asked the valet if there was a self park. 
I would be devastated if someone I just photographed saw me drive up, or away in that van.  It was expressly for motherhood....not professional purposes.

I realized right then and there, that I had to start thinking more about my future.

Though I'm not a judgemental person.  People judge.  And in some cases....it does matter.

My goal is to be a "professional".  And for me, that has to encompass more than just how I look when I come to a job. 

For many years, I have been perfectly content in my "mom" role.  But as my kids are getting older, I am realizing I need to start putting myself more in the front of the bus (so to speak). 

If I want to be portrayed as a professional, I need to BE a professional, and start shedding some of that "mom" exterior.  You know the one....no makeup, hat to hide the bad hair day....etc.....

So I think for me, what this car represents is a new and more "forward" me.

When we dumped the expedition back to pick up my car....we all got in with a sigh of relief.  It's a new home for all of us.  I guess we all needed to grow up a little bit.

I was talking to Aspen on the way home (Avery went with Chris) and I asked her, "What is your favorite part of the car?"  She said, "I love how I can roll down the windows, and I like that the a/c controls are right by us and the seats are really comfortable. 

And as I turned around to glance at her, she sat in a most demure position, with her feet up on the seat as if she were on a couch watching a movie.  She was very at home. 

So, yes, I'm a mixed bag.  Not really caring what others think, while being very conscious of what others think.  It's a good balance that I am happy with.  I really needed something to propel me forward from my "stuck-ness".

And as a result....I took my family with me!

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment