Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pockets of time

It's amazing how much you get done when you focus.

Having lost a few days, I gathered up my lists of stuff and buckled down to work.
When I woke up yesterday, I felt pretty okay.  I was still a little loopy, but not too bad.  I had to carpool 5 kids and was feeling confident.  Especially compared to the days before. 

I got up, made coffee, got ready, and loaded into my car.  As I drove down the street it was a little tricky focusing.  By the time I dropped off all the kids safely and got home, I realized I probably should have gotten a sub for the day.  I arranged for it at pickup just to be safe.

I'm believing some of the issue is sinus, so I made some water with lemon and cucumber and green tea, and I drank about a gallon before lunch time.  As the day progressed, I definitely started feeling a difference.

As I sat down to my desk, all the things I had to leave for the past few days sat in piles, waiting to be addressed.  Paranoia set in a bit, as I realized I'm pretty behind on a few items.

I'm shocked at how focused and efficient I was.  By the end of the school day (kids schedule), I had uploaded two weddings, finished a wedding DVD presentation, written checks necessary for my job, issued my weekly newsletter, arranged final details on a weekend photos session, and answered various emails.

Why can't I be like this more often?  Do I have to be laid out for 3 days to have a fire lit under my hiney so I can get things done quickly?

Last week, for my meetings, the topic was about maximizing your minutes.  Literally taking pockets of time (10 minutes here and there) and making them productive minutes.  Squeezing effort into every minute of your day.

Well, I think I work in reverse.  I find pockets of time where I should be doing something, and I spend it minimizing the minutes.  It's ridiculous.  As if I have all the time in the world!

I remember years ago, my dad told me, "Money wasted can be regained....time wasted is lost forever".

There are days I totally feel the weight of that saying!  I'm thinking if I felt it more often, I'd be rich!

Unfortunately, sometimes I feel like I "Just need a minute"....all.....day.....long.......

Ever feel that way?

In our high stress world (and especially with kids dictating a large portion of our lives) I think it is natural, almost self-preserving, to look for pockets of mindless time.  We are always heading somewhere, doing something or planning something.  Mindless time is almost a gift.

So while I will revel in my recent efficiency; I'm sure I won't make a habit of it.  Though if I did....like I said, I'm sure I would be rich!!!

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment