Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Offerings and balance

This is my first late start day with Aspen. This middle school thing is kind of weird.

I woke up this morning to the alarm, and told Chris I wanted to sleep in! (Which means, he is in charge of Avery for the morning.) So, out of bed he goes and I 'try' to go back to sleep!

Did I mention the word 'Try'?

Well, someone (Aspen) woke up with boundless energy and came in and jumped on me yelling "BLANKET!!!!". I must not be a good mom, cuz I threw the 'blanket' off and said I wanted to sleep in a bit. So she fell behind me, snuggling really close (like a side blanket), which would have been fine....except for the fact she was breathing heavily down the back of my neck!

SLEEP TIME OVER!!!!

Little booger left, went outside in the back yard to play with the dogs.

Being a parent is NOT for the selfish, I assure you!

I decided to come downstairs and start making my healthy muffins for breakfast.

I have been good all summer, not baking. When I bake, it gets me into trouble (I eat it). I make apple pies from scratch (including the crust), cookies, cupcakes, cakes, muffins, etc.... But I had to stop, because I was getting a little out of control.

Then all of a sudden, yesterday, I got the itch so bad, I couldn't deny it.

I 'blamed' it on the kids. I made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I added almond meal to add a little more nutrition to it, and literally rationalized that because of the good ingredients in there, it is just as good as a breakfast cereal (well, some anyways!). At least they are getting oatmeal, and whole wheat flour and nuts. (forget about the sugar and butter).

This morning, I made my best healthy muffin recipe. I will have to hand these out to my healthy friends, because most people don't care to eat flax seed (and that is if they know what that is).

I cannot deny that I love baking. There is some sort of gratification I get from it. And though I tried to stay away, the school year has me in full swing again.

It is a sense of accomplishment, no matter how small. It is also an offering to friends and family. And I like giving.

This summer had me running in every direction. My ability to connect with people was lost a bit. And in that, I was lost too. It is important NOT to give too much of yourself away. We definitely need balance!!!

So, as I take my offerings to my friends today, I will be okay with my baking. The more I give away, the less I eat. And....the better I feel.

Win/win.

Happy Wednesday!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment