Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Ahhhh....

Okay, I don't have much time.  I need to work fast.

I have already been accosted by an over excited 11 year old who woke up (first) at 4:45.  And then went back to sleep then got up again at 6:15 (no alarm) and stretched in her room until 6:30 when I came out so she could leap in front of my face and say "GOOD MORNING!" and then get into the shower. 

(Me thinks someone is excited for her new school.....hmmmm??????)

This morning, I will spend time curling their hair.  (and try not to screw it up).
I can do makeup til the cows come home.  I'm good with the face.  But something about hair - even my own - has perplexed me from day one.

I was somewhat cursed with curly-type hair.  I say cursed, because there is no real method to it.  First, my hair is a bit thin, I just have a lot of it.  And let's just say, thin and curly hair somewhat resembles Medusa on breezy, windy, or humid days, which is about 1/2 the year long.

I praised the day I got a straightening iron.

Unfortunately....my skills lack.

Aspen has blondish hair that is straight as a stick.  It doesn't hold a curl -AT ALL - (or at least under MY fingertips)  but she wants to try anyway.  Bless her little heart!

Avery has hair like mine.  Thin-ish, but she has a wave and can hold a curl a bit longer.  Only she "act's" the curl straight out of her head.  She isn't what we call demure.  She is me in all her energy and bounding around.  Her curl doesn't really stand a chance.

But I'm their mother....so I will try!

Aspen got to walk around the school yesterday and find out where she is to go.  She noticed right away, that a lot of the girls wear makeup. 

And while I was quite young when I started wearing it, I will say it is because my parents didn't care enough to stop me.  I used to have PILES of makeup on the floor in my room!  My ex boyfriend used to write notes on my mirrors with whatever he could find, which was usually eyeliner, or lipstick.  I loved makeup!

I was actually approached by a member yesterday asking where I learned to do it.  Have you ever been asked a question, and instantly flashed back in your mind to the memory????  Piles of makeup filled my mind.  Eyeshadow stained carpet in various shades - too many to count.  For a brief moment, I was actually sitting on the floor in my room applying and reapplying makeup.

I smiled at her and told her I'm self taught.  I so badly wanted to say "Come on over and lets play." But as she was in her late 50s, I'm sure she had better things to do than come over and 'braid hair'.  (But if she brings it up again...I'm asking!).

But, I digress........ 

When Aspen talked about makeup yesterday, I did tell her I would like her to wait.  However, I know that her features will be greatly enhanced with makeup.  Long eyelashes, beautiful blue eyes..sweet kissy lips!  BUT NOT YET!!!

We will take this middle school thing one day at a time.  She doesn't even have any interest in boys (thank God), so I have some time before she starts primping and preening!  (however, I do have plans for her.... wink wink).

As for Avery, she got her teacher yesterday.  Not the teacher she hoped for, but a good second.  I think my little Avery is turning a corner of independence.  She is one that I will have to work with in Middle School.  She already has this ..... thing with a boy in her school.  Nothing serious.  As a matter of fact she denies it all.  However, she tends to "deny" it before we even ask.  And it started in preschool.  It's something the cosmos put together, I swear!!!  So I think she'll be pushing for makeup a bit sooner. 
As it is; she was the first done with breakfast; and as I write, she is laying on the floor, curling iron already plugged in and waiting for me to sign off. 

I told you I didn't have much time!

May this school year be the best EVER!  (I know...we say that every year....)
Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment