Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Haters Group

For the last two Thursdays I subbed for a leader who was on vacation.  I have subbed before, it's usually fun, and people are usually pretty accepting.

Usually.

Last Tuesday I went in to Sub and as we were weighing people in I could tell that some people were disappointed.  If nothing else, that is a huge compliment to the leader  who regularly leads that group.   They are attached and want to hear her.  Not some "unwelcomed intruder" they didn't expect.

Some left; surprisingly, most stayed.

But one person in particular, who was weighing in the booth right next to me said, "Oh...she's not HERE?......ARGHHHHHHHHH" (edited for politeness). To which the receptionist pointed to me and said, "Cathy will be here tonite!"  (not awkward at all.....)

I looked over at the girl and gave her a BIG smile and said, "HI!"

Clearly, this will be a tough crowd.

I went up and saw the group before  me.  (Did I ever tell you I read body language?)  I knew I was in trouble.  People sat with folded arms, seemingly glaring at me, waiting for what I had to say.  I could tell the pressure was on.  These people loved their leader, and I was not it!

So, I put on my proverbial tap shoes and started a song and dance for 30 minutes and pulled off the best meeting I could!  I started my meeting with a very exaggerated tone, "Youuu guysss are sooooooo disappointed right now!!!!!!"

I got a few chuckles and was off.  I chiseled my way through and left that meeting.  I dubbed it "The Haters Group"

Last night when I went back, I knew I was up for another song and dance.  And to my surprise a couple of the members came up to me and blew my socks off.  They were glad for the new perspective. 
One lady told me that I was in her head all week, and by Saturday she said out loud to herself, "Screw HER!" (meaning me and what I had to say).  And yes, she told me this to my face.  Her name was Barbie.  I'm not kidding.

I loved Barbie.  I got in her head!  That makes me happy.  Because if you have been doing this for a while, to penetrate someones thoughts is a really good thing.  Especially if it helps them grow!

Then, Danielle came in.  AKA  Miss ARGGGHHHHHHHH.......  What I said to her last week helped her reach another milestone of 70.4 lbs.  And her friend who sat next to her said that she heard my message about Input=Output and she tracked all week and lost 2lbs!

I made a difference to the Haters group.  I feel pretty good about myself.  But I'm even more proud of them for stepping outside their comfort zone and letting me in.  They could have walked out, or just ignored what I had to say.  But they opened their minds and accepted my very different approach from their own beloved leader.

The messages are always out there.  But are you always willing to listen?

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment