Friday, December 16, 2011

Whats for breakfast?

I just realized that certain cereals don't satisfy me.  I had chocolate cheerios for breakfast, and I found myself wanting another bowl.  Like literally fighting myself in the kitchen to leave!!!  Same with Cinnamon Life and Corn Pops.

Not usually what we have in the house, so it is a treat.  But when it does come in, it goes out quickly, because apparently, my girls have me affliction with cereal!

I laugh when people tell me they have cereal for breakfast.  Who created it and why is it such a staple in our lives?

It doesn't really sustain you.  It just leaves you wanting more, and usually hungry within an hour.  It's "fortified" which means they threw in vitamins somewhere during the processing and are trying to pass it as  a healthy option for food.

And despite my knowledge about the stuff, I still can't control myself.  I swear the food industry must put some sort of small chemical in there that makes us dependent.

So, what are other healthy quick option for breakfast?  Not much.  You can go with a bagel, which is super high in carbs and needs a LOT of something put on top to offset all the dough you'll be eating.  You know..to help it go down easier.  As much as I love bagels, they leave a lump in my stomach that is also not satisfying.

Eggs...they have to be cooked.  What a bother.

Toast?  A smaller and lighter version of the bagel....not nearly as satisfying, and when you try to glob on the topping of choice, it makes the bread soggy and somewhat yucky.

English muffin....now there's a good option and one I don't think of very much.  My mom makes a tuna melt for dinner that is (for me) to die for.  But not a good option for breakfast.

Pancakes take too long to make, I'm usually too tired and short on time.

Which brings us back to cereal.......The simplest option.  Choosing the right one is the most important decision of the day.  I'm old now, I like Fiber One cereal.  It keeps me satisfied, and when I mix it with some "guilty pleasure" cereals, it offsets the "bad" with good!

Breakfast has always been a bit of a struggle, but across the ages, cereal has always been there.  Back in the day, the boxes would have gifts in them.  I was one of five, so it was not often that I ended up with the prize, but the box always ended up mangled from the efforts of getting the useless trinket.

It didn't matter what was inside.  The "Get" was what was important!

And though it's odd that I find my morning writing about cereal....don't you find it odd that you are still reading it?

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment