Monday, December 5, 2011

Holiday Cheer

Last night we went to the Santa Ana Country Club for their annual Christmas party.  It's a Cunningham tradition and a nice way to kick off the season.  As I stared at familiar places around the club, I realized it had been a year or so since I saw those familiar faces.  I don't know anyone else there than the family I went with, so to call these other faces "familiar" is as close as it gets.

They had caroler going around and singing any requested songs; we requested Carol of the Bells.  These three women gave me chills.  It was so nice to hear that song in a simple way.  I think it's one of my new favorite songs.

They also had people from the North Pole there.  You could point them out, because they were the most festive characters in the place.  The walked around to all the tables and children and chatted and played with them.  They were fun to just look at, let alone talk!

One elf in particular stopped over to see us.  I can't remember his name, but I'm sure it would have been forgetful.  His character was fantastic.  He engaged the most resistant child in our group.  Within minutes, we were all staring and listening to his tales of the North Pole and how santa sings Christmas songs and replaces "Santa" with "I" when he's singing them with the elves. 

The stories this little guy weaved were fascinating.  He knew all the answers to any question you would ask.  As we were the last people leaving the event (don't get excited it wasn't even 8pm), we had a hard time leaving Mr. Elf as we wanted to take him with us.


We got our pictures taken with Santa, an annual traditon.  I peaked at the girls sitting next to Santa, and their smiles were so big it made me smile!  For years, one or the other would be fearful and not quite feel safe enough to be near this man.  This year, they were nearly in his face, enjoying conversation and engaging in conversation.  I got an adorable picture of Avery in between people.   I just love her smile!

All in all we had  a good time.  It's nice to get together with family.  It seems it is not enough these days what with their schedules and all.

I really feel this event helped kick me more into the spirit of the holiday.  I have some fun things planned for today, and with a little help, I'll get them done.

Here's to making the most of every day this month and enjoying every second we can with family.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment