Thursday, December 15, 2011

The cost of expectations....

What are you expecting this year for Christmas? Do you have a list of 'wants' ready and waiting for Santa to pick up and deliver? Or have you left it all to chance, like a roll of the dice and whatever will be will be?

Have you ever finished opening all your gifts at Christmas and said, "Is that all there is???"

Well....if you have, it is my humble opinion that you have done Christmas wrong......

Expectations can make or break you. And finding that balance is key!

In years past, there were high hopes of this and that happening. Often to be dashed by reality smacking me in the face.

A few years ago, I turned a corner in my life. I became more interested in watching those around me revel in their gifts, while I waited to open my own.

In my opinion, and maybe it's just age, I realized I had everything I wanted. Everything else was gravy. When I got to that point, it became a great joy to open any offering that anyone had for me.

I don't like expectations. When I see a movie, I don't want to care or anticipate what the critics had to say. I would much rather let the movie unfold before me in all it's glory; good or bad, and own my own opinion.

I let this happen on my wedding day. I let my cake lady do what she wanted. Same with my flower lady. And on my wedding day, I was excited to see what gifts they gave me. And as a result, I was pleasantly surprised.

Life is a gift. In all its offerings! We should learn to enjoy what is offered us, instead of putting endless demands on others to make us happy.

I have seen much tragedy in my life. And I have to be honest...it has made me grateful for what I have!

Here's to a year of appreciating what we have, as opposed to what we don't!

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment