Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Tourist day

I am thinking of being a tourist today, I just don't know where.

As I have a "free" day, and school will be starting soon to overtake my whole life, I want to take advantage of these last few days with my kids.

I heard it was supposed to be 90 degrees today, but I am staring at fog outside my window, so I'm not yet convinced.  However, the temp will determine my destination, so I'm hoping for some signs to hit me quickly.

I suppose I could consult my kids, but I'm guessing I'll get 20 different answers on what they want to do, and not one of them will match the other.  So I think I need to take executive rights and just go with it.

Yesterday, we went school shopping at the mall. Avery had her sites set on Justice (because she had a 40% coupon and she thought she hit the lottery).  I did my few errands at the mall (makeup of course) and started heading to Macys.  When we went left; she went straight.  She had it so set in her mind that I had agreed to it, she didn't look back.  And when I called her over, I said, "Hey....we're heading to Macy's!"  She said, "But I have a coupon for Justice!"  I said, "Justice was never on my plate."  She said, "I DON'T CARE!!!!"

I simply looked at her and said, "Well then, I don't care to buy you any clothes". 

Woof.........

We went into Macy's, and Aspen did her shopping.  Avery was so mad and disappointed she didn't know what to do with herself. 

And while I was disappointed, this happens to be a trait in my child that I adore!  She KNOWS what she wants!!!  (I just can't afford it). 

From the time she was born, she knew what she wanted.  She would wear a skirt on a cold day and I would tell her she needs to wear something warmer, so she would gladly put on jeans......under her skirt.  And she sold it. 

She would wear the most awful and uncomfortable shoes to Disneyland and walk all the way through, and not one complaint.   Not so with my other child.

So, with that I have learned to appreciate her differences!

So as she sat there at Macy's, with tears, next to Nanna, while Aspen picked out her few items, I went and paid for Aspen's stuff.

Here's the hook.........

When I paid for Aspen's stuff, I got about $150 worth of stuff for $24.  I didn't expect it to be that cheap, but they were having an event and I had an additional 20% off.  And I wasn't coming back for another trip after Avery calmed down.

So, now, what do to with Avery?

Normally, I would have held to my threat.  But I couldn't leave knowing that they needed some stuff for school and I would be losing out if I didn't take advantage right now!  I consulted with my mom, as I did NOT want to buckle in front of my kids.  They know that what I say is IT!  And I was about to renig.  Mom agreed with me on this one.

I pulled her over and explained to her that we had an opportunity to get a lot more clothes here than at Justice and that even at 40% off, they would get one item at Justice to Macy's 3 or 4.  I told her that her attitude was unacceptable and I would be holding onto the clothes she chose for extra chores at home.  And then I set her free.

In 5 minutes she had about ten items in her hand and she was off to the dressing room to try them on.  Her approach is so different from Aspen, who is way more careful and thoughtful of her choices.  It's always been that way. 

As I don't want to nurture Avery's behavior, I do so appreciate her spunk and determination.  It's a delicate balance as a mom to appreciate our children's individualities.

In the end, I think we all left happy.  The girls got a ton of clothes (and some Godiva Chocolate) for $100.  That's amazing!

I'm done shopping now (except school supplies).   I know that every year, the girls go to school, see what everyone is wearing and hit us up for more clothes based on what they see.  So, I guess I should say I'm done with the "starter" shopping!

It was a favorite time of year for me as a kid.  Dad and mom would take us shopping and we had so much fun getting ready for school.  Dad loved to shop!  (Mom, not so much).  He would get giddy.  I miss him.  But the memories are now played out to my children.  So it's all good!

So, as far as my tourist day, I just don't know at this point.  I think I'll wait til the sleeping beauties wake up and do a mood check.  And we'll go from there!

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment